More convinced of analog than ever

Wednesday night I went to my local high end shop's "Music Matters" open house, which featured six meticulously set up listening rooms highlighting the best and brightest offerings from Wilson, Transparent, Audio Research, Ayre, Magnepan, Peachtree, B&W, Classe, Rotel, etc., with factory reps to introduce their products and innovations.

There were unmistakable improvements in reproduction of redbook CD, with jitter reduced to near zero, and holographic reproduction of images, soundstages, and the minute signals that indicate instrument resonance and hall ambience.

And yet... and yet... when the demos shifted from redbook to the new downloadable hi-rez digital formats in 24/88.2 and 24/96, there was an unmistakable jump in resolution around the edges of the notes, of sounds swelling, resonating, and decaying, of greater verisimilitude.

But compared to the turntable demos, I'd say the 24-bit digital got me about 80% there, whereas LP playback closed the gap completely. Once the LPs started spinning, there was a collective relaxed "aaaahhh" that went through the audience. It wasn't because of dynamic compression. Far from it, the Ayre prototype turntable was strikingly dynamic with a subterranean noise floor.

The sense of ease and relaxation I attribute to a sudden drop in listener fatigue. The LP-source music had so much more of what makes music musical. We didn't have to work nearly as hard to rectify the ear-brain connection as with even the best of 24-bit digital, which was still significantly better than redbook. The redbook playback always reminded me that I was listening to "hi-fi," even when played through multi-thousand dollar players from ARC and Ayre.

Even my local Brit-oriented Rega/Naim dealer asserts that the latest CD players rival or exceed LP playback.

I say nay.

What say you?
johnnyb53
Geez, the OP posted an innocuous (though well scribed) little muse reflecting on his sonic preferences after visiting a retail shop, and all of a sudden he's a "snob", and turntables are valued more for their visual presentation. And, of course, vinyl, in some indefinite future-world, will be 'obsolete'. And this is the 'Analog' site?

Frankly, I've never felt the urge to trek over to 'Digital' and let 'em know what idiots and losers they are. But then, maybe that's just me.
02-07-09: Adam18
Can't we all learn to share the same sandbox and play nicely together?

Unfortunately, no. It's the nature of mankind to war with one another.

Witness world history.
02-06-09: Tketcham
So how were the presentations? Anything new and interesting?
In addition to the things I already mentioned, the front end in the desktop Magnepan room was very interesting. They had an Apple Mac iTunes server and a NanoPod docked in a Wadia iPod docking station. Both of these fed a PeachTree Audio integrated amp to make use of its DAC (it accepts USB) and its line stage. From there the signal was sent out to several outboard power amps to drive the little Maggie panels and floorstanding woofer module.

It was a great way to demonstrate how good an iPod can sound when a specialty DAC does the decoding. The NanoPod was loaded with a combination of 256 Kbs and lossless AIFF files.

I was quite taken by the musicality and resolution of the PeachTree's DAC, and also its linestage. At $1195 the Peachtree is a little gem, especially for a digital-based or digi/analog system with an external phono stage. Very nice unit and I would highly recommend it for a small system where 50 to 80wpc would do.
free recording AND playback? Digital recordings are inherently flawed. Even the best original digital recordings are dithered and filtered, omitting and filling in information of the original analogue soundwave because analogue to digital converters simply cannot capture non-bandlimited soundwaves that are complex like orchestral music. 30 IPS reel to reel never had this inherent problem of excluding spatial and minute information like minor changes frequencies of many instruments and voices.

Take these flawed digital recordings and then convert the digital signal back to analogue, and you have even more information missing, then filtered in by 1s and 0s.

By the way, no DAC in the world is almost without jitter. The Benchmark DAC1 is known to be one of the best at jitter rejection, and its measurements are still over 100ps (nowhere near "jitter-free"). The world-class Linn Klimax measures over 200ps.

Also, for anyone who thinks that the format doesn't matter much, have a listen to the SACD versions of great analogue recordings and then listen to them on vinyl. Use any $10K SACD player and any good $5K TT. If you think that the analogue system isn't more detailed, resolving, and doesn't have better 3-D imaging, and more life-like timbre, then you really should just listen to digital and not bother with this "debate" anymore.

For those of us who primarily listen to music that was originally recorded on master tape, vinyl delivers the best sound quality, period. Those of you who listen to newer recordings that are released simultaneously on digital and vinyl, then the differences will be subtler and will perhaps even favor digital because the original master recording was digital.

I was born in the digital era and never knew a world without computers, but pine for the days gone by when sound was not delivered to our ears in 1s and 0s.
Yesterday we had our annual record LP sales extravaganza here in Eugene, OR and there were a couple hundred people at any given time going for the vinyl in a single Hilton ballroom sized room. People of all ages.

Paid $1 to $15 for some real finds. There were far more people hunting thre vinyl bins than the CDs.

Vinyl will survive, it's now way past the original naysayers bedtime.