SME V, Tri-Planar or Phantom B-44 ?

my table is j michele orb se
benson139
Dear Atmasphere: +++++ " I think the only rational conclusion is that the two arms are very similar in sound, and that setup likely has more to do with the differences heard than anything else. " +++++

I really would like to agree with your statement but it is almost impossible to do that, let me explain about:
first the Triplanar and Phantom are two totally different designs, one an unipivot one and the other a gimbal bearing one, both use totally different build materials and shape construction, different internal wiring, etc, etc, etc
Every single of those build/design factors ( and many others ) makes a difference and its combination in each design too.
This is not something that I just " talk " by " talk ", Guillermo and I already have two years on our self tonearm build/design and ( like you ) we have many years of different experiences through different tonearms designs ( today or vintage ) with different cartridges ( almost any. ) and we know ( for sure ) that two different tonearms have a different " signature " when you match with a cartridge ( even the same cartridge ).
I can't tell you ( for now. ) all the whole different tests ( scientific/measures and by ear. ) that we already make ( some ones are incredible like incredible its results. ) where we are learning some of the complexity interaction between a tonearm and the cartridge where " minute/insignificant " changes can/could make a difference when we can't wait/predict about, our target on our tonearm design is to be dead " neutral " ( almost no signature ) to take out of the " equation " ( the tonearm ) and leave any cartridge to show its best.

I have experiences on those three tonearms and I can't say that it sound alike: specially ( in reference ) the Triplanar/Graham like you say.

Obviously that like always the result is system dependent and ears dependent too along each one person priorities.

That's why I ask Benson139 to share with us which cartridge he own.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Im curious about the SME resonance. What is the frequency of this resonance? How was it measured? who measured it? Is this actually documented in some tests? Ive heard this before but never accompanied by any data. I figured it was more internet lore.
Am running a Triplanar with a Lyra Skala on a Michell Orbe and I can only echo what some others have said, the Triplanar is a fabulous arm and mated with the right cart you are in audiophile heaven. In my case it works well with the Orbe, but so will any other top class arm. A minor point, if you ever contemplate an upgrade to the Orbe Dec with the acrylic cover etc, you can't close the lid during playback coz the Triplanar is too long. Off course there are many who will advise that the lid should be removed during playback coz it attracts unwanted resonances etc
Njoy
Hi Raul,

I read Ralph's comment about the equivalency of the Tri-Planar and the Graham Phantom in the context each arm running with a compatible cartridge. Nothing new here for us (grin).

Of course, since Ralph's main experience is with the Tri-Planar, he shared his experiences of cartridges that have worked for him with it.

I would add to this Tri-Planar compatibility list, the Dynavector XV-1s, the Benz Ebony LP (the original - I have not tried the newer incarnations), and yes ... as surprising as it sounds the Denon DL 103R (albeit a bit lower on the sonic food chain).

Indeed, the Tri-Planar and Graham Phantom are different architectures. I have not played with the Phantom, but I wouldn't be surprised that with a compatible cartridge that the two arms would be more alike than different.

In my experience (I'm repeating myself from other posts), competent designs from designers who know what music sounds like, applying differing architectures, sound more alike than different. Yes, each architecture will reveal its distinguishing characteristics, but the designs will be shockingly alike.

Why? Because good designers know what real music sounds like.

The more pieces of good gear I discover, the more I learn later that the designer is not only a solid technician, but that (s)he has at least played a musical instrument - perhaps not mastered it, but played one. Of course, there are exceptions.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier