Periphery Record Rings

Who uses one of these periphery record rings, like the VPI? Theoretically they make a lot of sense. What is your experience with them?

Has anyone seen this auction over at Audiogon ...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?accstwek&1235444247&1234963855

It's a brass ring without the outer downward facing "lip" on the VPI ring, which won't work on all tables due to lack of belt clearance. I would guess brass would be better, since it is denser and purportedly results in better sound than other metals. Anyone seen one of these "ttouter" rings and can vouch for the quality of the workmanship and uniformity of it?

thanks,
Bob
ptmconsulting
Quite keen to experiment with this periphery ring. However is wondering what is the risk of dropping catridge needle on the ring?
I have used the VPI HRX outer ring for 6 years.

As ong as you are careful and use the cueing device you will have no problems. After all how many times to you miss the platter completely??

You have a lot more potential issues when setting up a cartridge.
I would love an outer ring designed to focus the weight along the depth of the platter. This would allow me to easily integrate it w. some 9 inch arms and not interfere w. the arm rest or lift or any other part of the arm that is in the way. Instead of the outer ring being lets say 12 inches in diameter, it would be 11 inches but there would be additional rings under the top outer ring to add to the weight. You could add or remove rings at will. I was thinking of making this but don't have the time. This way you can adjust the weight of an outer ring. Obviously this would only work w. platters that are fairly deep and that are fully vertical in height rather than angled or fairly thin. Obviously I am referring to my Raven A/C or an Acoustic Solid, Brinkman or many of the belt drive non suspended turntables.