Best "dark side of the moon"

what is the best pressing of the Pink Floyd LP? I have seen some in the 300-500 dollar range... what is the best? and does it compare to the dvd/sacd version of the album?
craw13
Oh, and just so that you can tell your arse from your elbow:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PFArchives/discTOC.htm

Happy hunting.
Until now, I thought my MoFi DSOTM sounded really good.

Then, Viridian harshed my mellow...
For a change of pace. This may be blasphemy to some... but Easy Star All Star's (think they're out of Britain).. does the entire DSOTM in dub.

Appropriately called: "Dub Side of The Moon".. hahaha

They also re-do Radiohead's "OK Computer"

Both come in vinyl.
prefer the UHQR. but the VTA must be 'just right'. the regular MoFi is also very good and very VTA sensitive.

as this is not exactly a perfect natural recording, who is to say what is right. it becomes a bit of a taste issue. then maybe whether one's system is full range and can handle big bass without bloat. some rooms cannot contain the bass.

as my system matured and improved the relative attraction of different pressings changed. this happenned with many MoFi's, not just DSOTM.
Mr. Lavigne - perhaps the best post ever on AudiogoN!

You're exactly right and everything you've stated applies to the whole game, right down to what speaker wire people prefer.

It's all got to do with what plays best in our individual rooms and what sounds best to those funny looking transducers on either side of our respective pointy heads.

So many things can impact the percieved sound, ESPECIALLY an LP, the cartridge used, the loading used, the pre-amp used, etc. etc.

... maybe that thought will bring balance back to Tvad's mellow ...

If I were Crawl3, I'd start with the 30th anniversay edition before moving into the big-money versions. I'm reasonably happy with it and it blows away the red-book CD version I had prior... not sayin much but, still, worth the $30 I shelled out for it.