phono pre amp giant killer?

I'm in the market for a used phono pre amp. I'm considering the pro-ject tube box II and the clear audio nano (because of some positive reviews and the fact that I use a Clear audio Vertuoso Wood Cartridge). My question is how much do you need to spend on a used phono pre amp in order to get to the level of truly top flight performance? My budget was going to be 350 but that may change with this thread.

thanks
andy
andyth
For right around your budget, you could purchase and build a Bottlehead Seduction with C4S upgrade.
Thanks T bone,

I was just looking at the possibility of the Bottlehead Seduction. What is the likely hood that I would screw that up? How much work is it to build?

andy
My long disclaimer on the products is that:
1) I have never built a kit, Bottlehead or other.
2) I am about to because I just ordered a few things from them.
3) So far, I have nothing but good things to say about Bottlehead and the community which inhabits the Bottlehead forum. I have been a lurker on that forum off and on for a few years, and never cease to be impressed by the amount of assistance available through the forum.
4) Apparently, the instructions are first-rate.
5) If you go to their site, they have a page called 'Skill Levels' which tells you what skills are needed. My bet is that anyone with a basically steady hand and a willingness to set aside a few hours each evening over several evenings can get a Seduction up and running. I have done a few minutes of soldering work in the last ten years and that probably gives me more 'experience' than many have when they order one.
The biggest giant-killer of a phono pre I'm familiar with is the EE MiniMax.

One good hit to the side of the head with the MiniMax took Lars down (for good) - Lars was easily 6' 6" and 300 lb. (It was self-defense.) It's those step-up trannies.

Seriously, my #1 recommendation, if you can solder, would be the Bottlehead Seduction. Despite what others will say, this unit, with the C45 upgrade, does compete with units far, far above its price range.

The Graham Slee is also really superb. As is the Black Cube - I think the Cube may even have more saturated tonal colors.

And the MM honestly is great but certainly above your price range used.
Paulfolbrecht, how would you say the seduction compares to a hagerman cornet or ee minimax? I have a seduction with c4s and mundorfs and I love it but I am looking for something with a touch more WAF and of course, better performance.... I posted a thread 'minimax vs. Cornet' and I haven't had any definitive answers yet. Thanks Harv.