Turntable advice?

I have a modest, entry-level system consisting of:
-Bel Canto s300iu
-Linn AV5140/Espek
-Rega P1
-Naim Stageline phono stage
-MacBook

The vast majority of my listening is via computer, but I like vinyl for those really special albums (the "desert island" picks, if you will). For a while, I've been considering upgrading the turntable (The rest of the system will also go through periodic upgrades, but the TT was my first consideration). A local dealer offered to let me audition a Michell TecnoDec, and I accepted.

I have a couple of issues:

1) The turntable itself literally does not fit into my cabinet, where the P1 currently resides. Everything but the motor goes into the spot, but, while I'm no expert, I'd wager that the motor plays a key role in how the music sounds.

2) I have a nagging fear that the TecnoDec, on my little system will highlight the fact that I do have a modest, entry-level system and will figuratively not fit in.

Is my nagging fear grounded? Would it, in essence, be like dropping a V-8 into a Fiero (No offense to any Fiero owners out there)?

Any advice from you seasoned turntable experts will be appreciated.

If you need to know, my vinyl listening habits tend mostly toward rock, but a lot of acoustic stuff: Elliott Smith, U2, Johnny Cash, Iron & Wine . . . . .
theraiguy
I was able to get the TecnoDec running, and there is a tremendous difference between it and my P1. The TecnoDec is incredibly clear compared to the Rega.
It does, however sound a bit "stiff" compared to the P1's more "relaxed" sound, if that makes any sense.
I think I still have some auditioning to conduct.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
It does, however sound a bit "stiff" compared to the P1's more "relaxed" sound, if that makes any sense.
There's a downside to a too relaxed sound. I think it comes from the stretchiness of the belt allowing the platter to slow down slightly and then spring back to speed in response to stylus drag when encountering transients. A higher torque implementation will sound stiffer, but it will also have more drive and clarity. It will sound more real and less romanticized.

The P1 will definitely not give you what you're looking for. Yesterday I extensively auditioned a P2 (through a $10K+ all-Naim system) on behalf of a friend, and I couldn't WAIT to get back home to my tweaked and platformed Technics SL1210 M5G. The "relaxed" presentation of the P2 sounded seductive at first, but over time its deficiencies became clear--much less drive than other designs (partially compensated for by an intentionally fast rotational speed), and a recessed midrange that made it sound like the solo instrumentalist or vocalist was standing in a hole.

Maybe you should consider a wall-mounted turntable shelf to liberate your turntable choices from the limitations of your cabinet space. The turntable will sound better there anyway.
IMHO the "front end" of any system is the most significant part.Of course all the links in the chain are important, but the source of the signal;the origin of the gathering of music is the least common denominator of what you will hear in the end. I have heard good "budget" amps and preamps sound incredible with a great TT/arm/cartridge combo, and have heard all world amps sound ordinary with CDs and mediocre front ends. Don't worry about the whether it fits in a cabinet,you probably don't want it there anyway,mount it on a wall and sit back and enjoy.