the most underrated 33 1/3 in history?

my vote is for all "Klaayu"! even the plug in the recent tas is way understated. it was the fact that they were thought to be the Beatles that did them in not what made them great. the world lost interest because they were not and wrote them off as copies, when infact the album rivaled the beatles best. i am a true Bealtes fan, they were/are the best most consistant group there ever was or probably ever will be. but, this does not mean no other band can be at any given time as good. here is where klaatu's defeat ocurred, because they were so great they had to be a beatles copy but when infact they were fantastic originals. while their following albums were not as great as their original self titled "Klaatu" their following albums "hope", "endaangered species", "sir army suit" and "raarities" are well worth the spin. do your self a great favor pick one up their albums and give them a spin and then wonder what may have been had they not been compared to/or mistaken for the Beatles? the art work alone is woth a look. long live KLAATU!
koegz
As I recall, the hype about them being the Beatles when the first album was released was spontaneous and grew organically but was not initiated by teh group or Capital records. But once it achieved critical mass, capital chose to ride the wave of publicity and not offer up much information to set things straight. I bought the first record as a result of the publicity and wondered myself as did most others.

Then by the time teh second lp Hope came out, which IMHO is a hugely unapprciated or underrated release,cApital and the group suffered the backlash as it became clear this was really not The BEatles. Then Klaatu descended further into obscurity over time as a result despite continuing to produce perhaps some of their most Beatleesque tunes ever on the later albums Sir Army Suit and Endangered Species.
Capital learned their lesson about how to promote new groups in teh shadow of teh BEatles then when "Get The Knack" came out a few years later. Here it was clear the group, also very talented, was not The BEatles though teh album cover was based on the design of "Meet The BEatles" and again teh $$$ signs rolled at very high levels at least for that initial release by The Knack.