Trying to get in to vinyl, turntable suggestions?

Hello All,

After hearing some great analog setups I've got the itch. My Integra dtc 9.8 does have a phono input, but I plan to get a phono stage down the road, that I could connect to my Anthem Pre 2l SE.

In the meantime, any suggestions to get me started...I'm looking for a good turntable that could benefit down the road from upgrades as I get more money.

I'm hoping to spend less than 500 for the TT, and then willing to purchase a cartridge seperately if I have to.

I've read good things about thorens and the nad 533. What about the technics sl-1200? I'm looking to buy used for now.

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews Band, Pink Floyd, some Paul Simon..Jack Johnson..

Any thoughts?
I've linked my system below hopefully did it right..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1240167743&view
burnsy1
Well I ended up getting the music hall mmf5 used. I'm really happy with it so far..anxious to get a phono stage now so I can put it though my Anthem pre 2l. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Stay Away from ebay: Depending on where you live, you can get vinyl, in good shape, for a Buck in used record/book stores. In NYC I found a place on W.72 where I have been loading up for 50 Cents per! ( I even found a Shaded Dog of Rubenstein playing Chopin for $1.....)

Good luck.
I have had some very good luck buying LP's on ebay. Checking out the seller is important. Only bad deal was a zappa album and the guy refunded my money.
Look for a Philips GA-212 or 312 on Ebay with a decent cartridge. I would recommend the MA-2002e cartridge. Check out the seller's reliability through feedback and no. of transactions. You should get 90% there for about 350 bucks or less. For decent vinyl, check out TAS, Stereophile R2D4, and Arthur Salvatore's supreme recordings lists.
First, there is no such thing as budget analogue, or beginner analogue; they are both names for "midfi". 2K is where a decent audiophile rig begins. If you don't already have a ton of old LP's that you want to hear, I see no reason for getting into vinyl. However, if you have deep pockets, you can pay the price for the trip to paradise.