Poor BASS with Dynavector XX2 +Sunilda + AudioNote

I recently bought a complete analogue set: Dynavector XX2 + DPS table with Reha RB300 arm + Prephono MM/MC Sunila (from Audio Valve). All of that connected to my Audio Note.
Tje results is fine (open, smooth, clear, depth ..) but lack of bass!! No sure if it is the prephono (I will change the 12AX7 by some NOS) or if is a mismatch between the cartridge and the arm ..

Any suggestion ?? Many thanks
stelma
Dear Patrick: As Restock point out there is no clear problem on the Rega/XX2 matching but I think it is not the best tonearm match.

I have a friend that have the same tonearm/cartridge in an Avid TT ( different electronics and Avant Garde speakers. ) and never really like it.
I owned the XX2 and I think s a very good cartridge with very decent tonal balance and certainly not a lack of bass not either in the other side but neutral.

I think that that cartridge deserve a precise VTA/Azymuth set-up in a better matching tonearm.

In the other side the Sunilda has a subsonic filter at 20Hz this makes that the roll-off in the bass start at around ( depend on the choose of filter order. ) 80-100 Hz.

So, IMHO ( at least ) you have these two different subjects where my experiences tell me " you are in trouble ".

Now, I don't know which speaker/amplifier you own and how good are integrated to your listening room, specially in the bass response subject.

If I was you first I will try to borrow ( somewhere ) a different tonearm and try in the audio system.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Thans for your comments Raul .. I feel so bad!!!

I can always add a VTA system on the arm. It exists and do not cost much ..... This will solve partially the problem.

I can also change the arm (the DPS is engineered to put other tonearms like the wilson B .... It will cost me additional 1500 $ but it will imprve).

But what makes me feeling bad is the subsonic filter on the Sunilda. If Bass starts ay 80 hz, I'm dead ...

My system is very well balanced with my AudioNote CDplayer + Dac + Preamp + Amplifier.... So I reamize my biggest problem is the prephono.

What can I do to tweak the subsonic filter (I do not know what it means ...)? If I put some NOS, will it change ??

Thanks
Dear Stelma: Maybe you can by-pass, why don't you call to the manufacturer to they can give you information how a technician can do it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Patrick,

you should be able to change VTA on the DPS: The Rega arm should be secured with a set-screw from the side; you can loosen the set screw and lift the arm a little bit; then tighten the set screw. I use business cards to measure the distance between arm and plinth to achieve repeatable and accurate VTA adjustments on the DPS.

The XX-2 is very sensitive to VTA changes from my own experience with setting up my friends turntable. How far is the tonearm tube from parallel to record?

My friend uses a loading of around 100 Ohm into his Pass XOno.

Just curious - where are you located?

Best wishes,

Rene
Thanks again ...

Sorry, I do not know how far is the tonearm tube from parallel to record ... I have not chechek.

What I will do is the following:

1/ To check my prephono Sunilda with my friend's turntable (which is well adjusted as he own very good arm). If I have strong basses, it will mean my Sunilda is OK. Otherwise, I will contact AudioValve and s what i can do.

2/ If Sunilda is OK (this is what I would prefer), I will purchase a VAT adjustment system (available for Reaga arms ..) and I will change it.

My feeling is that this is a VAT issue, as the rest of the sound is really nice ....

Curious? I am fom France .. in Grenoble.

Regards to all