Has anyoe had problems using the mint LP tractor

I have just spent about 2 or 3 hours trying to reset my cartridge using my newly acquired Mint LP Tractor and quite frankly I have found the whole experience very frustrating. I have put it down to inexperience on my part and aging eyesight........... surely I can't be the only person who has experienced difficulties, although reading the various threads here on the tractor it's beginning to look like I am!!! I intend having another attempt in a day or so, in the meantime any advice from the 'professionals' would be welcome.
wes4390
Rgurney, I believe Yip will make a protractor with either but it may depend on the tonearm. However, you should ask him directly so you get the facts, and nothing but the facts. ;-)

Seriously, he responds pretty fast to emails.
Dan_ed
Thanks :-). I contacted Yip and he quickly informed me that the protractor for the Phantom uses the Baerwald alignment.
Great, Rgurney! I owned a 2.2 for about 1 1/2 years so I'm familiar with the Graham setup jig. I wish I had a Mint back then.
Sorry to go a bit of topic. I am interested in the mint LP tractor. However I'm a bit worried. I have never ever setup a tonearm myself, is it newbie friendly? My other concern is that I might want to upgrade my JMW9 to a JMW9 sig one day. Will I still be able to use the mint LP tractor?
Hi Mordante,

You may have an "easier" time by starting with a Mint (or any arc protractor) - at least easier in the sense of an easier time getting it right.

The level of precision achievable by the Mint means that anyone using it will be fiddling around quite a bit. Differences of .2mm pivot to spindle distance will be apparent, and will frustrate you until you get the "grok" of how to use it.

For someone who has never aligned a cartridge, learning how to use a 2-point protractor will its own source of grief. You'll have difficulty visualizing how to approach the adjustment - whether the pivot to spindle distance needs correction, the effective length (fore/aft movement in the headshell) or offset angle (rotation in the headshell).

To a certain extent, understanding a two-point protractor will confuse you even more than an arc protractor will. Two-point protractors can confuse even the experienced user.

So, starting with the Mint is the way to go ... might as well pay your dues learning how to use a great tool instead of a merely adequate one.

And ... yes, the Mint uses Baerwaald alignment. It checks out against the arc protractors I prototyped last year.

Cheers,
Thom