Early 1970's rock: Name some of your favorites

I've been listening to a local FM station a little more recently and have been enjoying some of the "flashbacks" that they've been playing. I'm primarily talking about stuff from Bowie, Roxy Music, Velvet Underground and yes, even the Stones, etc...

As such, i thought it would be neat to dredge up the past and ask some of you to contribute a "few" of your favourite albums from this time. This might also help others find some "gems" that may have been overlooked. Just remember, we're talking early to mid 1970's, not your favourite rock albums of all time. Sean
>
sean
The opportunity to revisit my high school days (class of '75) ... as eclectic as they come ...

David Bowie (Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust; 1972 or Pinups; 1973)
Crosby Stills Nash & Young (DeJaVu; 1970 or 4 Way Street; 1971)
Stephen Stills (First Solo Album; 1970)
Bob Dylan (Blood on the Tracks; 1975)
Kinks (Everybody's in Show Biz; 1972)
Emerson Lake & Palmer (Tarkus; 1971)
Frank Zappa (Waka Jawaka; 1972)
Procol Harum (Live in Concert; 1972)
Alan Price (Between Today and Yesterday; 1974)
Neil Diamond (Tap Root Manuscript; 1970)

Enjoy the visit to Tower. Rich
Anything by T Rex...especially the remastered "Electric Warrior" album...this album just reeks of kinky sex...a must!
Iggy & Stooges, New York Dolls, Modern Lovers, Alice Cooper, T. Rex, Sweet, Slade, MC5, Big Star, Badfinger, Faces, Wings, JLPOB, Rod Stewart (only in the 1st 1/2 of 70's!), Beach Boys (yes, even through 1st 1/2 of 70's!), Blue Ash (first record - good luck finding this), Flamin' Groovies, Neil Young, Raspberries, Derek & the Dominos, plus of course the ones Sean mentions above (and the everpresent Led Zep, Who, Aerosmith, Allmans, etc.), and I'm sure others I haven't thought of at this moment, but overall this is not a big period in rock history for me. It was a time of countryish soft rock, boring hard rock, pompous progressive rock, keyboard players, jazz-rock fusion, horn sections, and stoner jam music that you couldn't dance to, but which wasn't psychedelic anymore. Almost without exception, when it comes to bands from the 60's who were big in the 70's, I prefer their 60's work (there were also plenty of great bands that straddled the decade's divide, such as Creedence, The Band, Sly & the Family Stone, etc., plus The Dead only begin to be occasionally tolerable for me starting in the early 70's). About the best thing going at this time, other than Detroit-style 'proto-punk' and British glam-rock, was all the James Brown inspired funk that preceeded disco, foremost among which (other than the man himself and various JB spinoffs) were The Meters, Parliament/Funkadelic, early Kool & the Gang, The Ohio Players, and about a million other lesser lights, plus such singular soul talents as Al Green , Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Curtis Mayfield. Stretch a bit to '75, and the first New York punk is released by The Dictators, then on to The Ramones and The Cramps in '76, and things begin to look up again for guitar-based R&R where the songs don't come in 'movements' and last for a whole album side, and aren't played by bands that you need more than the fingers of one hand to count all the members of.