Micro SX-8000 II or SZ-1

Does anybody know if there is a mayor difference between the Micro-Seiki SX-8000 II and the "flagship" SZ-1?
A friend told me I should look for a SZ-1 because it offers a better motor. Having a SX-8000 II I am not shure whether it is worth looking for a SZ-1 or only for another motor-unit?
thuchan
No matter if you use the RX-5000 or SX-8000 II- the advantage of a proper aligned flywheel in opposite position to the motor drive is in the fact that the bearing will be free of horizontal force.
This will minimize bearing noise to the lowest possible - in any bearing.
The result in sonic terms will be increase low level detail, ambience and dynamic transient resolution.
Important factor is, to bring the string/belt tension to equal level (as close as possible) on both - flywheel and motor.
So - the advantage has nothing to do with bearing type - its a simple force vector model of two forces eliminating each other.
Fm login:

How did you resolve the ringing gunmetal platters? The only solution I know is either a damping mat - which can work well, or applying a damping material inside the platter - which would concern me from a perspective of rotational balance.

Steve
My personal experience reflects Dertonarm's statement: with my HS-80 flywheel in place (and now in a line with equal tension on the threads), ambience and transients--already wonderful--has improved. So, my ears disagree with Fm login's statement that the HS-80 has no benefit on Micro turntables. But, that's just me!
Thuchan, I am not preconditioned by anything and partially by any “church”. I based my judgment upon my experience, it well known.

Dertonarm, I am sorry but you are wrong. There is no such a thing as “proper aligned flywheel in opposite position” and there is not such a thing as “free of horizontal force”. The situation when the horizontal bearing is free from any force is the worse situation as the microscopic bearing beatings become the subject of belt slipping or “wind blowing”. The best configuration in belt drive is the situation what the platter with it’s microscopic horizontal bearing beatings is biased by a small belt force.

Here is no minimization of bearing noise if you remove the “belt bias”. You might accustom to light plastic TT but in case of Micro the belt bias is absolutely negligible coals to the platter momentum. If you once try to hold the 8000 platter then you would not daydream about its impact by a few milligrams of belt tension.

Also, Dertonarm , your comment about the result in sonic terms: “increase low level detail, ambience and dynamic transient resolution” is a celebration of typical audio BS. I can give you $10.000 if you will be able to increase the low level detail, ambience and dynamic transient resolution with any of my Micros by applying the flywheel. Now, how you are you willing to bet? How about to put your actions behind your mouth?
Kipdent, I had HS-80 flywheel a few years back. A friend of my got it and you used it with SZ-1. He also reported an improvement, but he (how ironic it is!) reported absolutely different improvements. So, I got HS-80 and tried to use it with 5000 and 8000 and with all my desire I was not able to recognize any single difference beside making the Micro’s motor to run a bit hotter.

Now, Kipdent, let me to give you some points that you might consider before recognition of impotent of ambience and transients from flywheel. You use threads, I use belt. There is nothing wrong with threads but threads are very sensitive to proper tension. 1 mm different with threads is the same as 10mm difference with belts. The tension is important and to be able to say anything further I need to know what the tension you use. How long your platter will spin after you stop the power on the motor? Another point – you lay records directly on the metal platter. This way of doing the things has A LOT of problem. The “yellow” platter was made by Micro to accommodate the very cheap, bad sounding, SS amp from 70s. The “yellow platter” if it played with no proper TT mat has a LOT of colorations. You might want to review and then reevaluate you feelings about ambience and transients.