Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
Axel,
No dought it would be a fluid damped design with a contrete and horse hair arm board for sure....
We are all such engineers. Take a Picasso, for example- how do you put a value on one of his paintings? If someone is willing to pay $3 million for it, do you say that's stupid because it just $49 worth of paint and canvas and about 150 man-hours of labor?
This is the "value" high end companies are in business for- it is more than just tubing, bearings and wire. It is a type of art and engineering that is priced at a point people are willing to pay.
Someone looks at a tonearm and says that is just $xx worth of metal, plastic and wires, no way! Someone else appreciates the quality of music it can create and plunks down the money. To each his own.
Hi Tonywinsc,
SME V guy, ah so. Better treading easy in this here 'value unlimited art gallery' of engineering.

I see we appreciate the same kind of 'muscle' and not only 'arms.

At least I did not have to pay an 'artist's price' for my V, AND it doesn't just use a bend pipe either :-)
A.
Hi Axel,
Stimmt. I can imagine your system sounds very good. Have you ever tried a Koetsu cartridge? It depends on the music you like. It can be an artist's price, only you will forget about the cost once you hear the music.
MfG,