Analog System to Beat Digital - - for little$$ ??

I have just introduced analog into my system in the past 6 months, with some joy, and some frustration. I spent very little $$ on a Denon 300f TT with a built in preamp. I connect it to a B&K Reference 50 preamp line stage input to play via a Parasound 2205at amp and NHT 2.9 L-R speakers. The B&K has an all analog path for direct analog passthrough.

My frustration is when I have properly volume matched my inputs for the TT and my CD, I only have some minor improvement with the Analog music vs the Digital music.

I am in Vinyl to stay, so With a budget of less than $2000, what would you recommend? I would buy used via Audiogon.

Thank you for your opinions - in advance!

Jeff in Detroit
jbryngelson
vpi scout, dynavector 10/20x cart, and a dynavector or lehman phono stage. could come in under budget if you are lucky and I think you would definitely enjoy the tunes.
Can you bypass the turntable's internal preamp? If so, just buy a new phono stage. That will put you over the top vs. digital all by itself.

I assume you have a decent cartridge already?

Cheers.

Tom
first of all, one type of media is not always better than the other. it varies from title to title. going to another table may make an improvement, but don't have unrealistic expectations.
To get more out of your vinyl playback I suggest to consider the following.

1: You need to invest in and take time to beable to clean and keep clean your vinyl records. If you want to budget you can buy a good vacuuming machine for around $200 (Kab USA basic unit) up to more pricier models by Nitty Gritty and VPI etc. You may want to give a portable steamer setup as a low cost alternative. I find these work pretty good to. Yet other make their own DIY vacuuming setups using spare turntable platters and shop vac etc.

You also need an ability to keep your vinyl playing clean, a good carbon fibre brush works. I also use an older Discwasher D4 brush and fluid. These help keep my everyday playback cleaning fine. Still others also add a Zerosat static gun to aid in static control.

2: I suggest you consider the Technics SL-12xxMKII series turnatables especially ordering a modded one from KAB USA.

3: Get a good basic cartridge, look at Denon, Audio Technica, Dynavector and other in the sub $500 range. I like my Denon DL-110 on my Kab modded SL-1200MKII.

3: Pick up a good phono preamp a bargain would be the Cambridge Audio 640P.

You can get all this including a record vacuuming setup for under $2000.