Analog System to Beat Digital - - for little$$ ??

I have just introduced analog into my system in the past 6 months, with some joy, and some frustration. I spent very little $$ on a Denon 300f TT with a built in preamp. I connect it to a B&K Reference 50 preamp line stage input to play via a Parasound 2205at amp and NHT 2.9 L-R speakers. The B&K has an all analog path for direct analog passthrough.

My frustration is when I have properly volume matched my inputs for the TT and my CD, I only have some minor improvement with the Analog music vs the Digital music.

I am in Vinyl to stay, so With a budget of less than $2000, what would you recommend? I would buy used via Audiogon.

Thank you for your opinions - in advance!

Jeff in Detroit
jbryngelson
I agree: Get a Technics SL1210 M5G (for the better tonearm wire), the KAB fluid damper, a better mat (e.g., Herbie's Way Excellent), Audio Technica AT150MLX cartridge, LPGear Zupreme headshell, and Cambridge 640P phono preamp.

This rig retains the strengths that attract people to digital--speed, slam, tight driving bass--while offering superior smoothness and a more organic presentation of the music.

I like the speed accuracy and consistency of the Technics as well, something you won't get from other turntables at its price. I am a big Count Basie fan, and the Technics never wavers on piano notes, and always conveys the exact, magical tempo and sense of swing that the Count always set.

I've had the SL1210 M5G for two years and the rest of the items I mentioned for over a year. For the first year I listened exclusively to LPs. Now I listen to some digital, but only when I have to, such as if the music isn't available on LP or I'm busy and can't tend to the records.

But whenever I drop the stylus into a groove I feel like I'm giving myself a special treat.
If u can bypass the denon preamp upgrade to another~i like project phono box~use nice cable~ top with nice cart~most sensible route~but when was audio ever sensible?
Wrtickle: I like your thoughts on the VPI table, but I am concerned that I will end up blowing my budget on a table/arm/cart before I even get a Phono-Pre. The Dynavector looks like a winner: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1250559771&/Dynavector-PHA-1-phono-preamp-

Maybe a complete table-arm-cart combination for 1100-1400? It seems the Scouts all are 1300 without the cartridge.
Tfkaudio - I agree, the built-in phono is likely the weakest link, but I am looking to match a complete TT and a Phono-Pre for about 2K. I am guessing I should look at Phono-Pre's in the 700-1100 range, with a table in the 900-1300 range.

Agree? Thoughts?
Jaybo: I agree, there is lots of good digital out there, and I plan to keep listening to both. Likely BluRay for my video-audio needs (Including DVD), but for a sit down of pure music will come from my TT in the future. Thanks for your response.