Analog System to Beat Digital - - for little$$ ??

I have just introduced analog into my system in the past 6 months, with some joy, and some frustration. I spent very little $$ on a Denon 300f TT with a built in preamp. I connect it to a B&K Reference 50 preamp line stage input to play via a Parasound 2205at amp and NHT 2.9 L-R speakers. The B&K has an all analog path for direct analog passthrough.

My frustration is when I have properly volume matched my inputs for the TT and my CD, I only have some minor improvement with the Analog music vs the Digital music.

I am in Vinyl to stay, so With a budget of less than $2000, what would you recommend? I would buy used via Audiogon.

Thank you for your opinions - in advance!

Jeff in Detroit
jbryngelson
Jaybo: I agree, there is lots of good digital out there, and I plan to keep listening to both. Likely BluRay for my video-audio needs (Including DVD), but for a sit down of pure music will come from my TT in the future. Thanks for your response.
Les-creative-edge: I do clean my records on a VPI record cleaner. I have a good friend who is kind enough to share his cleaner. I am using the Walker 4-step process, including enzymes and high resolution rinse. It makes a great difference.

Your turntable and preamp are a little lower end than my thoughts, but then maybe I don't need to spend so much. Do you find Vinyl to sound better than digital in your system?
Johnnyb53 - Thanks for your note. It sounds like you have spent quite some time listening to this recommended system. I will give it some strong consideration, as it is less than my budget - so I can get more Vinyl!
06-27-09: Jbryngelson
Johnnyb53 - Thanks for your note. It sounds like you have spent quite some time listening to this recommended system.
Yes, I have listened to it a lot as I had to stop working 2-1/2 years ago and I spend a lot of time at home listening to records, maybe 2-4 hours/day. That's given me plenty of time to listen, tweak, and refine. The same rig has a decent Sony CD/SACD player and my MacBook with CDs ripped in Apple Lossless Codec is also connected to it for comparison. So I have plenty of sources to compare CD, SACD, server-based digital, and LP for hours on end.

Looking at my rig, I also have to say you'll improve the Technics more by swapping out the supplied feet for SuperSpikes ($69/set) and then place the TT on a thick butcher block cutting board supported by something soft such as Vibrapods, Foculpods, or silicon gel pads from an office supply store.

The platforming tweaks do wonders to drop the noise floor, isolate the TT from room-borne vibrations, and improve inner detail and clarity.
Either get a Technics SL-1200mk2 or a JVC QL-7, mount a nice cartridge like the Audio Technica AT150 and you are in business. And spend the rest of your budget on good records. If you are into DIY, then find ways to mount different and better tonearms, you will have to spend more obviously, to the above tables. Personally, belt-drive turntables with wimpy toy motors just don't do it for me. A modified Empire 208 with the great Papst motor is one of the few BD tables that has the oomph to get close to direct-drivers. Idler-drive tables are also great but too much maintenance for someone new to analog. Whatever you are going to get, have fun! Just always remember that this is a hobby not a religion, so don't take anything too seriously.