Dynavector 20XL

I just got a Dynavector 20XL installed on my VPI JMW9 std tone arm and am hearing more than just brightness, but a static-type noise from the highs.
Any suggestions? Is it the cartridge that needs to be broken in, or is one of my preamp tubes in my BAT int amp going? I didn't hear this with a MM cartridge.
Thank.
ksl822
Nobody mentioned that the cause might actually be static. When I started up with vinyl after many years away from it, I had some huge issues with static during certain dry periods. You might try some Gruv-glide to see if static is causing your problem.
Static might be the issue, though discharges are usually intermittent. A constant "static-type noise" is rarely caused by that.

I wouldn't recommend Gruv-Glide without noting that it leaves a residue in the grooves, a residue which many find sonically undesirable. It's not clear from your post that static was actually your problem. Uncleaned biologicals in the grooves is a more likely explanation, especially if these records weren't cleaned with an enzyme-based solution. The Gruv Glide may have just covered up the problem. It's one of several record care products that behave that way, none of which will ever be used on my vinyl.

A safer way to test the static discharge theory would be to zap the suspect LP before/during play with a Zerostat.
I spent several hours realigning my cartridge so that is was exactly the way VPI specified for the Dyno.

It has made a huge difference, with the end result being that it is now on the bright side with very minimal "static" harshness.

I did notice that it was more pronounced in 120g older vinyl than on the new 180g records.
tonight I noticed that there is "distortion" coming from my 20xl during loud passages when it gets close to the end of the record. It seems find at the beginning of the record, could it be tracking error?
Ksl822,

Good job tackling a realignment. If you want another improvement, get a MintLP protractor. Search this forum for dozens of happy testimonials.

The remaining harshness is more pronounced on lighter (thinner) LP's because your VTA/SRA is more positive (nose down). This tends to emphasize higher frequencies or make them come a tad earlier than the related lower frequencies.