Record Cleaning Machine RCM

My present vinyl collection consists of about 100 LPs. On average, I purchase about 3-5 new LPs per year when the annual HI-FI Show comes to town. I've always purchased new with the odd purchase coming from friends for mint condition used LPs. My analog set-up is a VPI Scoutmaster.

I've read some very positive comments concerning the benefits of using a RCM and I'm serioulsy considering purchasing one.

For the money, I'm looking at the VPI HW-16.5 but I've read posts where people are complaining about how hot the unit gets due to the lack of a cooling fan while others have complainted about the noise. Should I be concerned?

My next choice up would be the VPI HW-17 but this unit costs about 2.5x more.

Suggestions / comments?
agiaccio
I like my Sota RCM. It has a fan like the more expensive VPI. But it is loud. I wear Stihl ear protection when I use it which I got at the hardware store. Nitty Gritty machines are good too if you don't clean too many records. But definitely get something! It's worth it.
I've got a VPI 16.5 and the only thing that becomes hot is the spindle. After the fourth or fifth album (2-sides, three scrubs each side) I notice it getting hot.

By that time the first one I cleaned is dry enough to play. I rack them in a plastic-coated wire dish rack from Target so they can air dry after coming off the VPI. I never put them back into the sleeve immediately after cleaning.

I go listen to a side of a freshly cleaned album and am motivated to continue. I'm backlogged about 600 albums so I should be cleaning, not posting!

Eric
Tubetan, the spindle is hot because the motor is hot. You may try stopping the platter and letting the fluid soak on the record for a minute, it will help keep the motor cooler as well as giving the record fluid some time to work.
Headsnappin,

I know why the spindle gets hot. I've had the 16.5 for about three years now. I was describing a symptom for the benefit of the OP.

I do let the enzyme solution sit for about three minutes during the first of three cleaning cycles. That is why I can get through four or five LPs instead of just three before a cool-down is in order.

Thanks for responding to my previous post.

Eric
HAving used the 16.5 in my LP store for 13years it never missed a beat and I would clean 100's of LPs a week. The thing I liked about the 16.5 was that you could monitor the application of the liquid and brushing as a manual exercise as opposed to the automated 17 which did not appeal to me. Noise is only a temporary issue as an LP will take 30secs to a min to do. As they go for 350-450 on Agon, it is a very wise investment IMHO.
Roman