Any word on the Blue Angel "Mantis"?

Hi all! - I am trying a cartridge that raised the bar in my conception of analog reproduction, the "Mantis" is keeping me awake rediscovering my entire vinyl... but I have found not too much information on this South African jewel.

I will appreciate any word regarding this marvel and help me in my investment decision.

Thanking in advance.

Fernando
128x128flg2001
A lot more discussion can be found at the Vinyl Engine forum
Even the Mantis's creator is a regular poster over there.
I will be hearing a Mantis myself in the next few days as a friend of mine bought one recently.
Terry
I have one: it is a great cart and substantially below $US5k, mine has a wood body but aluminium cantilever as the ruby was a bit much for me. It pushes all the right buttons for me: clean bass, detail without being sterile. It just sounds quite neutral to me and very musical. You can contact Andre via his web site and get a price. I don't want to give the price I paid as he said the prices were going to rise because of the global financial crisis and the fluctuations of the South African Rand, however, $US5k is not even close.

The problem with carts is that you often have to buy on reputation and trust, I have never regretted buying a Mantis, the most expensive, but far and away the best cart I've ever owned.

DS
Thanks for your feedback - I am havinf the opportunity to try & buy thanks to a generous offer from the seller. I compared the "Mantis" with my current Dynavector XX2 and heard some others at friends installations.

We have all agreed that this has been the best analog reproduction I have had in 30 years, and looks hard to beat it with similar priced options.

I have received some mails directly from a couple of "Mantis" owners that are willing to speak with me by phone and share their impressions - both sound very happy customers so far.

Regards,
I am deciding to keep it, it is by far the best cartiridge I have heard so far - it is very picky with VTA adjustments and overhang - once properly set up it sounds fantastic, very musical, honest and full of energy.

Regards,
Hi,
if I'm right, for ~ $1.700 of the snake-wood (alu cantilever) item it seems a very good cart for fair (MC) money.

Some dude offering it for $5'000, as could be seen on the web, was obviously trying to make a quick buck.