Feickert Protractor - anyone use one?

Looking around, I came across the Dr Feickert protractor.

Does anyone have one and is it worth the price and does it really help you setup your TT better than other standard mats?

regards
analoguecamera
Halcro,

with a custom made arc protractor, the need to be highly accurate at setting P2S doesn't exist. You just need to be close, 1/2 mm or so. Aligning to the arc takes care of the rest of the precision because the arc was drawn using the effective length. No futzing with overhang, it all comes out in the wash. That is why the lines are so important. And, the same tool is used to do the rest of the alignment so nothing moves during the process after the arc is being traced. It really is hard to explain, and much easier to demonstrate. There really is more than one way to approach things. I'm not saying any is better than the other. But some are definitely less expensive.
Henry,

FIRST
What Dan_Ed said.

SECOND
My TT spindle has a lathe mark that's dead center. Easy to see and measure precisely.

Your spindle doesn't have a center mark? You can make your own - for free.

How? Simple. Mark a dot, as tiny and precise as you please, on a square of Scotch Tape. Stick that on your spindle and spin the platter. If the dot oscillates it's not centered. Move the tape, spin again, reiterate until the dot remains stationary. Voila!

(It took me longer to type that than it takes to actually do it. It's so easy it's trivial.)

THREE
Your tonearm pivot point is "ill-defined"? No problem. Use the same trick. I've done this with Rega and OL arms and it should work with most arms where the bearing center isn't obvious or accessible to a ruler. Again, so easy it's trivial.

FOUR
Your ruler deflects over a 9-12" span? Even I'm not THAT cheap. Buy a sturdier ruler.

As I said, I've used a Feickert and I agree it's well made and measures S2P quite accurately. However, I can and do perform the same task with similar accuracy for 99% less money. So can anyone with a little thought and care. It's not the cost of the tools, it's how you use them.
thanks guys.

Long story short, it seems it is a good tool and if you dont have the inclination to make one up, this is a good tool that measures better than most for reasonable coin.
Hi all,

I have been using my Feickert for a while and could not imagine getting a more accurate tool for S to P distance and overhang for my Triplanar.

However - I read the threads about the MintLP arc protractor and the accuracy that it has inherent to its design.
So I ordered one and received it last week.

I got ready for cartridge adjusting mode - plenty of time available with no distractions on a nice calm morning and I prepared to do battle..you know the drill..

I had the greatest surprise ever that morning..

The Feickert setup followed the MintLP arc exactly.
Yes, exactly - even with high magnification.
It was as perfect as I could ever get it.
I put my tools away and listened to music instead, very happy with Chris Feickert and his protractor.

So it boils down to: both of these tools are excellent with the Mintlp being less expensive. But -do not take anything away from the capabilities of the Feickert - In my case it is exactly as accurate as the MintLP and still my favorite analog tool.

Enjoy the music.
Joe

I think what is being misread here or just plainly ignored is the fact that a mirrored protractor such as the Wally or Mint will take your set up to a higher level regardless what you think a Feikert will do.

Just because your stylus traces the arc doesn't mean your set up is finished.

There is a host of testimonials through out the threads I mentioned above including others on this topic that explain this.

My experience using the superb Phantom jigs including the Feikert protractor repeatedly, clearly demonstrated to me after using the Mint that my cantilevers alignment was always off.

Incredible as it may seem to some, FINE tuning the alignment of your cantilever has a sonic benefit, one that is readily heard.

This is why mirrored protractors such as the Wally and Mint exist produced by people that know a few things about analogue play back.
Try all you want with the Feikert it will not get you there.
As Doug points out above and as I know ,the reference lines are too thick and the disk is not built on a mirror. Clearly this limits what the Feikert can actually do.

However some may not be so inclined to fuss with such minuscule adjustments to the cantilevers position and close is good enough ,that's fine.