Analog maintenance

I know there are a few posts on this one, but I had a specific question. Here's my ritual:

* clean my LPs using a VPI 16.5;
* periodically wipe the surfaces of the TNT and 16.5
* platters, as well as the 16.5's vacuum tube with three
* dedicated sponges moistened with distilled water;
* use Extreme Phono's Solid Stylus Cleaner on my cartridge before each listening session;
* use LAST stylus cleaner between LP sides

I do not do anything re: LP static or cartridge demag. Should I? If yes, any suggestions?

Thanks.
128x128flyfish2002
Flyfish,

I use the Last Stylus cleaner only about once in 10 record plays. I want to touch the stylus as few times as I can. I find that it takes at least that long for plastic to build up on the needle and ultimately, each time you touch the stylus, you are putting pressure on the cantilever and the "o" ring holding the cantilever in position. If I actually have dust on the stylus, which should be seldom since you are using the VPI RCM, I use a Benz-Micro dust brush to remove it. As your mother wisely advised you in your teens, touch your needle only when necessary.
You could also use sacrificial records to sit on the turntable platter and on the VPI platter to act as a dust cover. I do that with my turntable because the non-hinged dust cover for the table is too much trouble to use as intended (currently being used as a VERY expensive rag bucket). My dustcover record is a Charlie Rich album someone gave to me that I have never once played. So the funny thing is that if I had to accurately report what record is most often on my table, I would have to say it was that Charlie Rich album.

Although I have never had a problem, I don't use solvent type cleaners as frequently as you do because of concern on what that might do to the glue that is used to hold the stylus in place. I use both the Last cleaner and stylus treatment, but not on every side. I will lightly brush off dust whenever that accumulates.

I also treat my records with LAST record preservative, but, I know, that is a controversial subject.
Look at ebay for AT-637
That's a - discontinued - stylus cleaner, best ever made.
Lot's of great advice. Thanks. I will wean myself down on the LAST and use it about every 10 albums or so.

For some reason, I do collect a bit of dust during LP playback. I put a pristine LP on the TT and when I pick it up after playing, there is a bit of dust on the stylus. I can remove that easily.

Anyone else using the Extreme Phono's Solid Stylus Cleaner? It is a very viscous gel that you dip the stylus into and then remove the stylus immediately. Not only does the gel clean the stylus, but also "grabs" any dust or particles.

Best
One more bit of advice. After using a solvent type cleaner on your stylus, wait just a bit before actually playing the record to allow the cleaner some time to evaporate and any glue that might be softened to harden up again.

The Lyra people recommend waiting at least 10 seconds after using their cleaner before playing a record.