PS Audio PerfectWave DAC vs Bel Canto DAC3

I am about to revamp/upgrade my entire system and I am looking for opinions regarding a DAC/pre-amp. I currently listen mostly to iTunes (apple lossless) into a Cambridge Audio DACMagic and CA 640Av2 integrated, but I would like to substantially upgrade and move to a DAC/pre-amp combo with a power amp. The top two contenders are the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and the Bel Canto DAC3, both of which offer laptop/iTunes connectivity with usb inputs as well as volume/input control to function as a pre-amp. I have auditioned the PS audio but not yet the Bel Canto. What should I know (other than the Bel Canto DAC3.5 about to be released and the use of the Bel Canto USB link for USB to SPDIF conversion)? I am currently using Totem Rainmaker speakers but would upgrade those as well.
rogercmd
In a word, yes. As the PWT/PWD broke in, I noticed how much more involved I was in the music. There were certain things the Levinson combo did well, the image was smaller and maybe more precise, the vocals souded more pristine, bass maybe a little cleaner but not as full as the PWT/PWD combo. As time and tweeking progressed all those advantages the Levinson first had disappeared.
Along the way, a couple of things happened. One, I found that the PWT/PWD was still breaking in, two, I added the Signal Cable HDMI to connect the two pieces, three I found that the PWD/PWT sound was being muddied by vibration, and four the PWT/PWD took an unusual but severe aversion to Synergistic Power Cords.
So the units broke in andI placed 3 Mpingo discs on both the transport and DAC (It took a while to find out where!). I'm using Herbie's Tenderfeet under both the transport and DAC, and I've replaced the power cords with VH Audios Flavor 4 cords.
Even before I did all the tweaking, I thought the units had promise. They have a special sound to them and as they broke in I found myself not wanting to switch back to the Levinson from the Perfect Wave Duo. The PWT/PWD was just more fun to listen to. As time passed, I found myself not wanting to switch at all to the Levinson duo.
That's when I realized that the Perfect Wave DAC and Transport were for me and the Levinson had to go.
While there is really no comparison between the build quality of the Levison components vs. the PS Audio duo (the Perfect Wave stuff is still built extremely well), time has passed the Levinson stuff by, and the folks at Harmon don't seem interested in providing service, updates, or replacements that work, so out the door it went.
Owning the Levinson Reference stuff provided many fond memories but included lots of frustration! (I could write a book.)
I don't know if the Perfect Wave stuff is a contender for the current SOTA in digital, as I have not had the time, money, or inclination to look at and listen to all the contenders. I'm sure there are things out there that could sound better depending on the system, listening tastes, etc.

But when you get great sound now from the Perfect Wave duo, will eventually have a SOTA server when the bridge is out next year, and can purchase the pair for less than $6000.00 in today's economy, how can you lose?

For an easy, almost free, audition, call Bes at Music Direct. He can set you up with the pair. I'm sure there are other dealers as well that would provide the same opportunity, but Bes is very easy to work with and gives good advice.
wow Sgr, i had an almost identical experience. except for your initial feelings that is. i really liked the duo right off the bat. however... i've never owned a set-up even close to your's so my "bar" was set much lower. used a high grade I2S from day one and glad i did (ps audio's silver I2S-12). much better then the other current options. i also upgraded pc's to ps audio ac-5's. they really sounded good together.

i also noticed a slight vibration issue and went with herbie's tenderfoot's as well. took it one step further and finally invested in a nice rack (steve blinn extrawide replaced my target $199 special). all of this along with several weeks of break-in did the trick. it went from great too incredible for me.

can't say i've listened to many really high end digi front ends but i'm certain that the duo is the best i've heard to date.....and not by a narrow margin. it still blow's me away every time i have a listening session. when paired, tweeked and hooked up right...the duo offers jaw dropping performance imo and one i can't get enough of.

cheers buddy

Lev
Thanks to all who responded. I have now listened to the Bel Canto gear with the Joseph Audio RM25XL speakers, and the DAC3 did not sound anywhere near as good as the CD2, or as good as I have heard from the PW DAC through Triangle Quartet speakers or the Ayre QB9 through Focal 1007Be speakers on previous separate auditions. Yes, the speakers are all different, but roughly the same class. The Bel Canto DAC3 certainly did not inspire the same enthusiasm for computer audiophilia as did the PW or QB9 did when I auditioned them.

Now I just have to decide on a stereo power amp for the PW Dac. The one I heard with the Triangles was the Simaudio Moon W5.3, but I'm interested in recommendations of other good amps to audition with a less hefty price tag.
If you don't want something new, but a classic stereo amplifier that sounds great, check out a used Krell KSA-250. It is perhaps one of the best Krells yet designed that has the Krell slam and magic in the bass, a tubelike midrange, and smooth treble. I think you'd have to spend a lot of money to find something better. It more than holds its own with most stuff today.