step up transformer for clearaudio

I have a clearaudio concerto cart with a balance phono stage. It is a dedicated mc only phono stage. Is it safe for me to use a step up transformer without overloading the phono stage? I have tried the ortofon verto with great results but i dont want to continue using it unless im sure it is safe from overloading.
csr827
I use a Bob's Devices SUT ahead of a Blue Circle 707 with both set to high gain with no problems using Denon 304 and 103.
Dear Csr827: You say that own a dedicated MC phono stage: why do you want to pass the cartridge signal for and additional stage ( SUT ) when any additional stage can add distortions/noise/colorations degrading the cartridge signal? is something wrong with your MC phono stage?

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
With the low setting of the Verto (24db) and the 0.8mV output of your cart, I dare say you are pushing the envelope by inputting ~ 12mV into your phono-pre.

A ~normal overload spec for a 60db MC phono-pre is seldom >10mV, after which there would occur some overload.

Your phono-pre might be of slightly higher spec. and this is why it may still work and sound good.
If you go into over-load you would start to hear some distortion.
If you never hear any distortion and like the cart with SUT --- don't worry, be happy, I say.
Axel
Thanks for your responses. I was really about to change my phono preamp to a tron seven which would set me back around 4k dollars. My clearaudio is okay but i find that it lacks weight in the bass and mids as when i auditioned the tron seven. The tron with its built in sut sounded a lot better than the clears...more weight i would say. This is why i heeded a friends advice to try a step up which i did and so far has improved the sound of the clear. Im really ignorant with regards to specs thats why im quite worried that will it have a long term negative effect if i continue using it. So far i have not heard any distortions what so ever.. if i am overloading my clears, would i hear it immediately or it would slowly ruin the clear if i continue using the step up? thanks