step up transformer for clearaudio

I have a clearaudio concerto cart with a balance phono stage. It is a dedicated mc only phono stage. Is it safe for me to use a step up transformer without overloading the phono stage? I have tried the ortofon verto with great results but i dont want to continue using it unless im sure it is safe from overloading.
csr827
My system did not "NEED" the step up but sounds better with it. This has been discussed in the review of it in TEN AUDIO and in recent discussions of SUTs in STEREOPHILE. Theoretically Rauliruegas is correct, I avoided SUTs for years. But we don't listen to theories. The discussions in STEREOPHILE I mentioned include how the writer finally tried a combination that "OBVIOUSLY" would not work and it was the best he had tried. Also he (Rauliruegas) prefers MM so he doesn't need one. It you were having overload I believe it would be obvious to you.
Csr827,

A friend of mine has a Tron phonostage. The design does not afford the user any options on loading, gain, or anything else and the designer insists that the tubes provided are the "best" for that particular design.

While I thought that the phonostage was okay for the money, it performed MUCH better with different tubes in it. I am sure the right combination is really system/personal preference dependent, but, don't take the designer's word for what is best. Do some experimentation on your own. In this particular system, the Amperex bugle boy 12AX7s (I believe) sounded the best.

We did not do any experiments with loading, but I suppose you could do that also. I have a phonostage with a SUT built in, and I optimized its performance by changing the loading of the primary of the transformer. If you don't know how to do this, I am sure you can find someone who can help.

I personally like the sound of preamps with SUTs, but, matching to particular cartridges is an added complication that can make things a hit or miss affair. Perhaps more work, but the result can be very rewarding.
I am quite a supporter for SUT, but only for LOMC.
A SUT suits the chain the better the lower the output of the MC and its source impedance (and the resulting source inductance).
You may try a 1:4 step up with 8 to 12dB gain.
This might work well and tell you a few things about your MC. But the question is - as Axel pointed out - whether your phono stage can handle the input.
Always keep in mind, that the SUT and the cartridge are a team. You need to match the right "teammates" - otherwise the "best" SUT will sound terrible with the "best" MC if their technical parameters aren't matching.
Dertonarm,

I agree that a SUT is a good approach to dealing with low output moving coils. Such cartridges need an additional stage of amplification and any form of active amplification adds noise whereas an SUT does not add noise.
How would i know the overload spec of my clearaudio phono stage? All i know is that it has a 58db gain and input impedance of 5oo ohms/270 pf . Max output is 12v(1hz). Please help if you know the computations to my phono stage overload spec. . Also if im overloading it, will it be obvious immediately or will i hear the distortions with repeated use of the step up? Thanks