Question regarding reputation of SOTA tables

I'm a SOTA Sapphire owner. I've noticed that Stereophile and Absolute Sound never mention SOTA tables. Reviewers don't appear to own them nor are SOTAs ever on the "recommended" list of components. Are SOTAs that poor of a table? What gives?
rockyboy
Hi Rsrex,
hey, he asked why not, and I told him. Probably the people who bought em then would now, and those that didn't wouldn't. Even with upgrades, most tables would still have their "house" sound. Look at Linn, Michell, others...
If a horse changed its stripes, then it's a different animal all together, and then it might be worth revisiting.
Otherwise, I say a sota is a sota is a sota...and I'm quite happy, thrilled even, for those that like them. He asked why most people don't consider them and that's what I addressed. and it's only my lowly opinion...and a maybe a few others...
Take care, enjoy your table whatever it may be!
I've been highly impressed with the sapphire tt I bought about a yr ago. Equally impressive is the SME arm and Dynavector cart I use in conjunction. Even though you didnt mean no harm please dont ever use the word poor with sota in the same sentence. I believe in part with great reviews from current owners on this website, and a magazine mentioning of the comet helped me to decide on purchasing a Sota.

PS. I only buy the high-fi mags anymore to see about the music and find most gear reviews boring.
I have not posted here for a long time.I've left the hobby,due to many mfgr's letting me down with poor service,extreme costs,and just plain old non caring attitudes....Not to mention way to over priced products....

but....I owned many Sota products over the 40 years in the hobby(I now collect and play acoustic guitars,so I still enjoy my music,actually more than ever).
I have a few old time friends who did write for TAS and Stereophile,with fabulous systems and they introduced me to many other reviewers/hobbysits over the years.

I basically have seen it and heard it all(almost).I had a huge LP collection that I sold last year."That",I still miss,but what the heck-:)

Anyway,SOTA absolutely makes a superb product!!!PERIOD!!!

I had many variations of almost every model.The COSMOS is amazing in being a "complete" design!!
It has been updated over the "years",to an amazing level of performance.....and....

"That",IMO is the reason why Sota gets little attention.They simpy have been around too long,and current audio "types" are way too into the latest gadget.Sorry!

A loss for those having to see something in a magazine(advertising costs a bundle,and Sota is fairly priced,so maybe they cannot afford to spend the advertising costs involved).

In any event,IMO,a "thinking hobbyist" who really looks at what is important in a table design will recognize these products are superb,by any standard.

I honestly believe that if they "blinged up" their products,with little improvement to actual design(not that they need any)and charged ALOT more many folks would take notice....A pity actually!

Reviewers(I know more than a few)"hype" the latest,and some of these are quite good,but SOTA stuff is rediculously good,"and" the ownership TRULY cares about their customer base.

In today's climate of insanely priced components,SOTA is a breath of fresh air....Fresh air that has been around a long time.

Just my two cents-:)
I have a Star Sapphire that's been upgraded. You can spend a heluva lot more money for a lot less turntable. Always a pleasure to use.