Replace VPI TNT rubber belt with nylon thread

Auy one tired replacing the rubber belt with non-flexible nylon thread on TNT turntable?

What are pros & cons?

Any sound improvement?
samleung
Can the silk thread be used on a TNT2 with 2 drive belts that only touch 3 points on the platter ?
There was some regular 100% silk in the house. Thin stuff s303. I tried this out of curiosity. I got it to spin but it was too slow even when turning the speed faster with the SDS. Any thoughts?
hi
may someone explain me how the ends of the nylon stick?
What ever I tried I always had a compote at the end which I think its not right.
thank you
When you put the string on a VPI table, it sounds closer, but not equal to a rim drive....it makes the same kind of upgraded sound, cleaner, clearer, more tuneful bass, etc.
Just for kicks I went out and got some elastic thread, as my prevoius attempts to use silk and nylon thread resulted in lots of slipping.

Why do I even want to try this? Purely for said kicks. I'm just plain curious to see if I can actually hear any difference between that and my VPI belt; will something with less friction and surface area sound any different.

So, does anyone know of an elastic thread material that is the same tiny diameter as, say, silk or nylon thread ? (And don't say, "Yeah, man, it's called a belt.")

The 'table is a homebrew, with a satin-finished 70mm platter; the motor is from an older TNT.

Thanks,
Mark