Are linear tracking arms better than pivoted arms?

My answer to this question is yes. Linear tracking arms trace the record exactly the way it was cut. Pivoted arms generally have two null points across the record and they are the only two points the geometry is correct. All other points on the record have a degree of error with pivoted arms. Linear tracking arms don't need anti-skating like pivoted arms do which is another plus for them.

Linear tracking arms take more skill to set up initially, but I feel they reward the owner with superior sound quality. I have owned and used a variety of pivoted arms over the years, but I feel that my ET-2 is superior sounding to all of them. You can set up a pivoted arm incorrectly and it will still play music. Linear tracking arms pretty much force you to have everything correct or else they will not play. Are they worth the fuss? I think so.
mepearson
Pryso, well - ABEC 7 isn't bad. It's good and heads away from playground marbles.
That there still are higher levels of precision ( = less friction + less noise ) doesn't mean the "7" isn't good.
A single ABEC 7 ball-bearing in miniature size will set you back about $14.
If bought in 100+ quantities it will be down to $8/pc.
That's about 1/10 the price of an ABEC 11.
ABEC11 are used in high precision laser linear slides and µm-measurement devices.
We see 60 cent brass RCAs jacks in $6k phono stages and 35 cent signal-coupling capacitors in $12k line stages.
In this world a ABEC 7 ball-bearing is already more than I expect to see in a modern high-end tonearm.
Frankly, I think you'll have a hard time finding a ball-bearing higher up the ABEC-scale in any other top-flight pivot tonearm.
Nilthepill, let me suggest to give a listen to a top-flight linear tonearm in direct comparison to a top-flight 12" pivot tonearm with the very same cartridge.
You may be in for a surprise.
The "force problem" of the linear tracker is inherent in the design - you may clean the bearings (and should do so anyway), but you do not alter the mechanical dilemma.
I have had several top flight linear tonearms and I certainly do like the logic idea behind the principle.
However - with todays cartridges (with the way cartridges are designed and mechanically built) the forces in any linear tonearm are medium to long time suicide for any suspension.
What we need to overcome the problem is a linear tracker which has an automatic feed of the complete moving assembly of the tonearm.
We need to eliminate the progression from the stylus.
This can be done, but will be really expensive, as it can not deal with linear progression, but need to be in short-time-loop with the real groove-spacing of the LP on the platter.
Once this is done, the full theoretical advantage of the linear tonearm will be obtained.
What still will be an issue after that problem is eliminated, remains the less than perfect stiffness and hardness of the bearing.
A great pivot tonearm has only the drawback of tracking error.
A great linear tonearm has a bundle of drawback by design - the zero error tracking being its only strong point.
Would love to see a linear tonearm addressing these points.
Dear Cjfrbw, the pixie dust goes extra - its the MK2 version..... (and then you still have to think/dream/imagine/muse about the most beautiful vision - otherwise it won't work according to Barry).
Sometimes I feel sad, when I read some posts that there are a few who are not satisfied with some expensive units. So much work from the Designers to sky the latest NASA secrets, the steal some dust from the moon from them to make better sounding bearings, all those friendly journalists who have only ONE goal, to help in the endless search of the best...
and then: We read something no one really wants to know, ok, maybe via private mail, but please, not in public discussions.
When I had my Airline/Triplanar/Davinci/Graham and-some-more I loved the click of the starting compressor, the first move from the Arm to remove the dust, the starting of sound when my cartridge touched the first groove.
I loved it, the respect I got from visiting audiophiles, here they saw, that I am a serious Audiophile. Great time.
After a while I discovered late in the evening that the most used Arm was not that one which worked with air. I asked myself, what happened?
Had it to do something with sound?
I am still on the way to find my answer :-)
Thank you, Darkmoebius
"Has anyone ever had a cartridge wear out more quickly or be damaged by this lateral force of a linear arm?"
I have used my Souther for many years. Two years ago I sold my old Audio Technica AT150ML and purchased a new Audio technica 150MLX. The Audiogoner who purchased my old cartridge was very complementary in his feedback post concerning the condition and performance of his purchase.
Now I know this is anecdotal, and I do not keep strict track of my playing time, but still, if wear were a serious problem it seems I would know it by now.