Choices: Nagaoka MP-50, MP-300, or Garrott P77i?

Visitor (now ex-friend! ... just kidding ... kind of) castrated my beloved Nagaoka MP-30.
It had an unknown amount of hours on it and was probably due for a new stylus... none-the-less, I'm now in the market for a new stylus. Thank goodness I've got the Jico SAS-MM1 on hand as a backup.

Anyhow - for Rock + Jazz listening, any thoughts on these three?

I can buy a complete MP-50 cartridge, a brand new MP-300 stylus to fit the MP-30 body, or go completely off the deep-end and try a Garrott P77i all for about the same amount of money.

I really liked the Nagaoka MP-30's sound, so the MP-300 stylus SEEMS to make the most sense. A part of me, however, says while I'm doing this I may as well upgrade to the MP-50 or try the Garrott.

The only Garrott I've ever heard was the Optim-S and, while I liked part of it A LOT, I found it a bit laid back in the high-end. Not sure how the P77i would compare and if it might be a bit more "open".
vinyladdict
Dear Vinyladdict: Absolutely, what do you report when you are testing several/many cartridges and find something better than the last one?

Think what will be your opinion if you test these cartridges one next the other for weeks or months? ( and you don't know if exist better cartridges that the one under test ):

103, Celebration, Helikon, Titan, Xv-1s, Colibri,Supreme, Allaerts, Olympos, A-90, Coral, etc, etc

We are in the start/beguin discovery of the MM/MI cartridges where almost no one of us had an in deep knowledge on its quality performance not only that but where we really don't know and have no reference about, no reviews, no cartridge sources, almost no-nothing.

We are building from the beguin and fortunately many of us that are searching and testing on the MM/MI alternative have very good knowledge with the LOMC alternative, with live music and with what means " quality performance " levels.

If you test the AKG P-100LE there is no single doubt that you will think is the better cartridge out there, then after you test the Technics EPC-P100CMK4 you can think the same, after this you test the Audio technica ATML 180-OCC and can think in the same way, after that the Azden YM P50VL and you can say the same and we can go on because the Azden is not the last cartridge we will test in the near future but here and now is the " best ever ".

We already made a preliminar cartridge ranking ( LOMC and MM/MI ) and all the cartridges named here has a very top level over the Garrot that you choose and for a lot less money.

This is not something that I'm the only one that support the great MM/MI alternative, people that I respect like: Halcro, Lewm, Axelwhal, Dgob, Phaser, Downunder, Dougdeacon, Dgarretson, Timeltel, Pryso, Driveman, Lavigne, Porter,Vetterone, Royj, and many other with very good know-how and very good audio systems.

So, today our opinions about are no more a " lightly " one but an " experienced " one.

That you prefer to expense more money for a lesser product only means your preference and nothing more.

I always say that every single day is a learning one that help to improve/grow up on our each one audio learning curve, even our each one mistakes are learning.

No, I'm not offended by your post because ( with all respect ) comes from a person with out the right and precise knowledge on the specific subject: ignorance always is controversial.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I'm not ignorant, Raul - I've been playing this game for quite some time - probably longer than you. Have I focused my energy on collecting equipment and cartridges, no. I've focused my energy on the music I love.

I will say, I had a healthy respect for your thread and your opinion, but your elitist comments make me question that respect. And, your nullified "with all respect" comment, aside - calling someone "ignorant" whose experiences you know nothing about shows me exactly what kind of person I'm dealing with.

For your information - I made my learned decision to purchase the P77i because there were NUMEROUS listeners I trust who have indicated it exhibits the qualities I seek. You are ONE person, sir - regardless of your deity status here on these forums - you would be well advised to remember that.

Your experience, as extensive as it may be, is YOUR experience in YOUR system and with YOUR music and YOUR ears. For you to suggest that anyone is ignorant and without "right and precise knowledge" who doesn't fall in line with your opinions is, well.... an ignorant point of view.
Dear Vinyladdict: I don't know why you are so angry with the word " ignorant ". Here in my country if I unknow on some subject any one can tell me " ignorant " in that specific subject and I accept because I don't have the konwledge about.

If you tell me for example that I'm ignorant on the Clearaudio Titanium performance I accept it because I'm ignorant in that precise subject, what's wrong to call with its name something we don't have the knowledge?, fortunately I'm ignorant on many audio subjects because this tell me that I have a lot to learn and learning for me is always a exitement subject.

In the specific Azden subject you don't have the knowledge so: how do you name this unknowledge?, I'm accustom to name it: ignorance because is something that we don't know.

Seems to me that with that word you think I'm trying to insult you and that was not my attitude in any way with you or any other person, I don't have any single reason to do it.

This is what the ignorant word means in an english dicctoniary:

+++ " lacking knowledge or education in general or in a specific subject " ++++++

Is something wrong with that?

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Not to butt into the middle of this, but Raul, you're right about the denotative meaning of the word "ignorant." Here in the U.S., however, the word also carries connotations of "stupid" or "unintelligent." I would not expect a non-native English speaker to know this. Just as I'm sure that if I tried to use my Spanish in Mexico, I would probably start another war.

All the best,
-Bob