Back to analog ..was it a mistake???

Like alot in the 1980s I went totally digital.Took my 300+ album collection and boxed them up never thinking I would venture back.My current digital system is about everything I always wanted.Black background,nice sound stage,fast,clean,detailed yet very musical.The speakers disappear and instument seperation is there and in the correct locations.Vocals are superb on all types of music IMO..
From strong suggestions from my bro I decided to try the analog approach again even though the analog systems Ive heard recently never came close to my setup.I bought a mid 1980s Linn lp12 and did some upgrades to it..Mose/Hercules2,new Akito2 arm,belt,oil,Denon DL160,cables..had it setup correctly.Bought a new Musical Surroundings Phono.Spent days cleaning records.What I have in sound is nothing short of a big dissapointment for the time and money spent.Forgetting the snap,crackle, pop which is very hard to get around the sound stage is nowhere to be found.The speakers no longer disappear,its like taking 10 steps backwards..Yea, I know the Linn isnt the beat all table as well as the phono but something is amiss here.Ive tried a few adjustments and things seem to become a little better but when I do the digital it becomes clear my analog attempt sucks.Am I expecting too much from my new investment back to analog???Is all this analog talk just talk from guys who never had a great digital system??Any positive imput or suggestions is appreciated..Thanks in advance
missioncoonery
What CDP are you comparing it to? Is the Linn sited on a good platform? It might be worth gambling a few hundred more on a top NOS MM cartridge(e.g Ortofon M60FL or M60E from Willian Thakker). This should handily beat the Denon and find the soul in your LPs.
If your speakers disappear with digital but not with phono, then something is probably not right with your phono setup (not uncommon).

Is your cleaning method working? How d you clean the records?

How did you pick the equipment you did? Was there a plan to make sure they work well together or was the decision process more random, based solely on reviews or such? Have you verified everything is set up correctly and in good working order?

Also, what is the rest of your system (amp. pre-amp, digital source, etc.?)

Sorry for all the questions, but these are so many things that can go wrong with vinyl playback that it is worth considering everything when something is not performing to expectations.

BTW what are your expectations regarding vinyl? Records can be hit or miss from record to record, more so than with CDs these days I have found. You ned to manage your expectations. Some records should sound very good and satisfy most, but many will never satisfy a most highly discriminative listener.

FWIW< I use a Linn Axis + DL103R and the phono pre-amp built into my ARC sp16 and the sound is very similar to my digital as a whole, more or less. Everything is listenable and clean sounding at a minimum to excellent in most ways when things are clicking with particular decent to good recordings, digital or analog.
I've had a similar experience. Great CD sound and disappointing LP sound. But that has changed dramatically in the past few weeks thanks to suggestions from A'Gon members, a local dealer and much tweaking of VTA, VTF, a lot more time for cartridge break-in, and some simple table isolation devices from Herbies Audio my modest Rega LP rig now significantly outperforms my Bryston BCD1.
One surprising finding was the disk I was using to judge LP playback quality - Dire Straits' Pricate Investigations brand new double album on 180G vinyl ($50)was significantly lower qualty than some $3 used vinyl from a local record store. I'm pretty burned on new vinyl.
As someone astutely pointed out, analog systems are fussy - even the supposedly plug-and-play systems.
It takes a lot of experience and know-how to get really top notch sound from records. It can take a long time (and lot of money) to find the way on your own. If you are serious but perhaps not infinitely patient, I recommend you find a professional knowledgeable with your stuff that you can trust and work with them to get things sounding right. With a 300+ album collection, assuming that is in decent condition to start with and you are serious about rediscovering and posibly even extending it, it is probably worth it to do what is needed to get the playback working right.
I threw away my LPs also in the early days of CD. About ten years ago i had an opportunity to buy a pile of LPs. I have to say the two formats are different.I personally have a better sounding phono setup than digital, but the digital convenience balances the LP playbeck.
I prefer having multiple sources over one perfect source. (THAT makes me a 'fallen' audiophile. Good enough IS good enough.)
Anyway, if LP is not for you.. SCREW IT. Just because the herd is again chasing 50 year old techology, doesn't mean you have to. (personally IMO you should start investigating PC music servers as a new creative outlet)
I would just put away the TT and LPs. Do not discard or sell them. And in ten years maybe you'll want to play with them again. If not.. then sell them.
PS your gonna get tons of LP lovers trying to tell you "Just get one more thing and you'll love LP... SCREW IT!! that is not true. If it isn't for you, then it just is not.)