Back to analog ..was it a mistake???

Like alot in the 1980s I went totally digital.Took my 300+ album collection and boxed them up never thinking I would venture back.My current digital system is about everything I always wanted.Black background,nice sound stage,fast,clean,detailed yet very musical.The speakers disappear and instument seperation is there and in the correct locations.Vocals are superb on all types of music IMO..
From strong suggestions from my bro I decided to try the analog approach again even though the analog systems Ive heard recently never came close to my setup.I bought a mid 1980s Linn lp12 and did some upgrades to it..Mose/Hercules2,new Akito2 arm,belt,oil,Denon DL160,cables..had it setup correctly.Bought a new Musical Surroundings Phono.Spent days cleaning records.What I have in sound is nothing short of a big dissapointment for the time and money spent.Forgetting the snap,crackle, pop which is very hard to get around the sound stage is nowhere to be found.The speakers no longer disappear,its like taking 10 steps backwards..Yea, I know the Linn isnt the beat all table as well as the phono but something is amiss here.Ive tried a few adjustments and things seem to become a little better but when I do the digital it becomes clear my analog attempt sucks.Am I expecting too much from my new investment back to analog???Is all this analog talk just talk from guys who never had a great digital system??Any positive imput or suggestions is appreciated..Thanks in advance
missioncoonery
It is always interesting to hear how superior vinyl is to digital. The vinyl comeback certainly has invigorated the industry, and really helped Stereophile have something to talk about, and create a "buzz". But again that buzz has helped the Industry, so that is good, but it does not make it totally true. In my system, where I have bought several lp/cd/sacd/dvd-a duplicates, I would be willing to say the vinyl / digital comparisons sound different , not always one or the other necessarily better. I think once you get personal agendas out of the mix, and the bias one way or the other, both systems can sound fine.
As a kid, watching a record spin and play fascinated me. I think it may have been the first thing to get me interested in a tech/engineering career of some sort. If only CDs came in nice packages like albums used to. CDs are certainly not very interesting visually (sexy?) while playing, another shortcoming. Now that I have things pretty well tuned in, the sound quality is no longer an issue for me.
Dear friends: I'm a little surprise why so much emphasis on " soundstage " ( Mapman, Newbee, etc, etc. ) and what overall means.
Is it does not suppose that the music is the important subject? : tonal balance, pitch, dynamics, instrument real tone, frequency extremes, etc, etc.

the soundstage is important but can't tell us the whole " true " about analog and digital.

I like both formats and understand its " natural "/technology differences as its each one source trade-offs, there is nothing perfect ( yet ) both formats has its ong advantages and limitations learn to know this will help to live in high pleasure with both " formats ".

Which better?, IMHO we can't say if an " orange " is better than an " apple ".
The best IMHO that can do is enjoy both! not compare each to other.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Raul,

The OP indicated that those were the aspects of sound missing in his vinyl versus CD, hence the focus there in the discussion.

Obviously, there are many other ingredients needed to make the audio soup best as well!

Cheers!
5-6 things, at least for now.. i thought the same thing at one time!!!! it took a while to get there .. tweak here , tweak there. even though i will continue, cuz i enjoy the hobby, i dont listen to cd often (seldom). my suggestions are:
1) purchase a diff cart. something that reduces the imperfections of vinyl. some would be benz, sumiko blackbird, many others. made a huge difference for me. i dont really understand how that works , except that the better cart's ride deeper in the groove. all i can say is that it works. and some of my albums , you wouldnt know that you are listening to a needle in a vinyl groove. it really is that quiet.
2) diff phono. i have 2 of yours, one with battery the other without. they homogenize the sound, and collapse the soundstage. they are ok for the price but there are much better units.
3) if you can, go tube phono. it will expand the stage, speakers will disappear. this can be an issue if you use a low output cart cuz good QUIET tube phono's are quite expensive, but in my opinon it's the only way.
4) linn should be isolated as much as possible. wall mount is prob best but i use a 3 point suspension and it gives pretty good results. never heard the arm you are using, but the linn will give you great results with more expensive ones.
5) make sure the arm is set to the correct height for your setup. when setup correctly, everything comes in focus.
6) clean records with a VPI or something similar. it made a tremendous diff for me.

it takes more time and effort to get the system to work within it's capability. for me that's the fun of it. with the advancements in digital , i agree that unless the tweaking is performed, digital sound better. but once the stars are aligned , analog will trump it.

my digital system(s): wadia , classe' , theta , ead.. sounds good but analog with all it's quirks is better.

my 2 cents for what it's worth, which is prob not a lot.