Problem matching Benz LP S w/ SME V or IV.Vi arm ?

Has anyone encountered any mechanical and/or resonance problems using the 16.4 gram Benz LP S cartridge with the medium to low mass(10/11) SME V or IV.Vi tonearm ? Thanks very much for any light on this issue.
opus88
The wait has been extened another day. Sadly the LP S was mailed out today from the distributor. I will hopefully pick it up from the dealer tommorrow afternoon. Man, the wait is rough. I have a backlog of LP's to spin already. I do not want to screw in the Transrotor Merlo Reference (a fine MC also)as a stop gap for only one or two days.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Ok the wait was worth it. This is not a review, yet. Just an initial informative update about the new Benz LP S. If you can adjust the longitudal balance as I can on the SME V, you will not have any problems matching and setting up the cartridge. I did have to turn the rotating knob a ways back, almost got scared until the arm balanced out. This is my 3rd Benz LP series I have setup on my SME V.

I used a Mobile Fidelity Geodisc and a German brand tonearm template to also check settings. The SME V and the Benz LP S was easy to setup. After balancing the arm and cartridge I set the tracking force to 1.9 and that is where it is tracking right now. No sibilance or any distractions. Just great music. Obviously you will have to set both VTF and anti-skate to zero before you balance the SME V arm.

Initial settings, anti-skate zero.
VTF, 1.9, right between the recommended setting of 1.8 and 2.0. The rated output is 0.35mv compared to the older LP's 0.33mv.
The spec sheet shows; LP S, an MR and TRS written as well as either the designation of the tip or S model or both.
Phono amp settings (Aesthetix IO Signature), set at the same as the old LP, 10,k ohms. I find that wide open is hit or miss and below 1000 on my system is way to mellow, so I settled on that number.

Initial sounds, well all I can is wow. There is more of everything, except the bass, which in my opinion was already excellant. The bass is the same, excellant, no changes for and the quality of intitial thwack of the opening part of this song is as thunderous as ever. The mids and higher frequency seemed to be a bit more detailed compared to the older LP as the music is more harmonious, has more pickup and the delineation of recording room acoustics are picked up better compared to the older LP. What I mean by this is that the LP S has more energy that makes for rich textures, a trait that already existed in the LP, but even more. I am using the Chuck Mangione Children of Sanchez as my referenece LP and it is much more musical than I remember compared to the Benz LP. I can honestely make this statement as I mentioned this is my reference LP, because of the trumpet, cymbals and drums, they exult a great variety of musical character and thus my reason to use this LP. Both depth and width are increased with the added benefit of instruments floating even more in space.

Even though I have only about 4 hours on the new LP S, it is better than the LP, despite that being a great cartridge already. It is the increase of micro and minor dynamics and the more robust harmonious nature of the LP S that makes music seem more alive compared to the normal LP. The trumpet actually seems a bit more defined and in character to what a trumpet would sound like if you played it in the room. I play trumpet, okay sometimes, that is why I also like this LP as a reference. The acoustical space is captured even more than before as I stated previously, but this adds to the realism of the music even more and increases your listening pleasure to another degree.

If you are happy with the benz LP, don't listen to the newer LP S as you will crave it because it is addictive.

The SME V mates well and do not have any regrets. On to the musical voyage.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Well, congratulations. Sounds so far like you did make the best decision going for the new S version. From what I gather, the original LP might sound a tad subdued or at least not as lively as the S, which seems to be a bit more open on top. Would you say there's any change or slight shift toward the treble region in terms of overall tonal balance? Is the sound tighter, cleaner and/or more neutral in contrast to the original LP? Thanks for any information/impressions on these things.
Thank you.

I would not call the original LP subdued but I would say it is not as revealing as the new Benz LP S. The older Benz LP has brought me many hours of beautiful satisfying music and all with the same attributes I describe with the new LP S, but only less. Maybe you can call it warmer. The tonal balance of the new LP S sounds linear on my system with the added benefit of additional presence. This might be due to the better needle and assembly but the presence does give the LP S a livelier sound compared to the LP but not at all bright or accenuated in either the midrange or treble regions. Adressing your question about the new LP S being tighter, cleaner and or neutral compared to the older LP, I would say that the signature trait of the LP series is there, beautiful midrange, shimmering highs and excellant bass, but the LP S adds an element of robustness that makes all of these qualities, with the exception of the bass, seem much better. I guess the sound of the LP S is what I just described, it is neutral in character without any over accenuation's in the frequency spectrum. When I played my reference LP's, I discovered that the Benz LP S was not only conveying the life and soul of the music, but going deeper as well. Going deeper into the music while keeping all of the excellant traits that the LP series is known for really has propelled the LP S into a cartridge that once you hear it, and setup properly, you will not mistake the characteristics of the LP S, especially comparing to the older Benz LP. There is more treble and midrange, but not at the sake of being hyperextended. I would call the the Benz LP S a more awake LP rather than hyperactive kid, ha. The Benz LP will probably sound somewhat closed in compared to the new LP S, but that is because the new LP S is only doing those things the old Benz LP does great, even better.

I do not not or will not ever have to think about switching cartridges, and when the time comes to replace the needle, it will be another Benz LP S. I do not have the desire or time to even try and research any other brands of cartridges when this one does all I need it to, beautifully.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life

"From what I gather, the original LP might sound a tad subdued or at least not as lively as the S, which seems to be a bit more open on top. Would you say there's any change or slight shift toward the treble region in terms of overall tonal balance? Is the sound tighter, cleaner and/or more neutral in contrast to the original LP?"
You've been most helpful with your well considered comments, and I wish you the best in listening enjoyment...Ciao!