Well Tempered Classic or Technics SP10Mk2

I am currently using a Well Tempered Classic with a Grado Sonata Cartridge. I have the opportunity to purchase a Technics SP10 mk2 with EPA 100 tonearm with the Obsidian base. I like the Well Tempered Table but I have read much about the new respect for the Technics direct drives. Will going to the Technics be an improvement over the Well Tempered or more of a lateral move? The rest of my system is Beveridge 2sw Electrostats with Shahinian Contrabombarde subwoofer. I use the VTL ultimate preamp.Thanks in advance. Bob
128x128baranyi
What is the problem with the Technics EPA-100 tonearm? From what I have read, it is highly rated, can accomodate any type of cartridge due to its dampening method, is made of titanium, very well constructed and is highly sought after?
Thanks for the differing perspectives. I was really hoping that the obsidian base would be adequate for the SP-10. It has been told by others that the EPA-100 tonearm is excellent.
I am not one who wants to engage in a matter of diminishing returns.
IMO, there is no contest here; the SP10 ensemble, obsidian base and all, would cream the WT, if you want accurate unsentimental retrieval of the information on an LP. So there ya go.

And as Dmgrant1 suggested, the EPA100 tonearm is superb and highly sought after. I have serious questions re the WT tonearm(s), on the other hand. The only piece that could be upgraded is the obsidian plinth, but it is not a true liability, either.
Ok, raise your hand if you've had both. I have. The sp10, as lew says, is the better table by a wide margin. Unit should be re-capped though or you run the risk of a cap letting go and taking out a unreplaceable ic. The EPA100 is a better arm then the WT by a good bit too. Plith could be better but it is a great starting spot.
Baranyi,

You and I have discussed the Well Tempered at length, but having owned the WTRP and now the Technics SP-15, I'm with Lewm; the Technics will beat the WT in almost all aspects. The difference in speed stability alone will amaze you. I have no experience with the EPA100, but I do know my tweaked Rega 250 equals the WTRP arm for sonics and is way easier to align properly. My Micro Seiki MA505 beats the WTRP arm hands down, so I have to believe the EPA100 would too.

Massive plinths are definitely the fashion for the SP10, but I'm guessing the obsidian is at least as good as the WT plinth. I have the SH-15B2 plinth (23 pounds of high density rubber and MDF) and once I got rid of the Technics feet and put good cones on it it's way more stable than the WTRP plinth.

I think you'd really like the SP10Mk2.

David