Clearaudio Double Smart Matrix or Loricraft PRC4

Anyone with exspearience with these two specific units shed some light.

I don't currently have much of a record collection but looks like I will, just got back into vinyl and really enjoying so a really good cleaner is important to me.

The Clearaudio; I like the idea of cleaning both sides at the same time but just not sure if there will be issues with that down the road and really just how good of a job does it do. How quiet is it compared to the specific Loricraft I'm looking at.

The Loricraft; I like how it uses that thread for cleaning, a freind has the PRC3, a few years old and seems to be very happy with and says it does a great job, I saw him do a record and it really didn't take all the long but was pretty load to me anyways once the vacuum was put on. Maybe I don't even need the model I'm looking at, put the $400 into some music, maybe the PRC3 MK2 would be sufficient.

Thoughts....

dev
The few small problems with a machine such as the Clearaudio Double Matrix, or Smart Double Matrix are this:

Yes, one gets convenience of doing both sides at once. The problem with such, is the underside of record cannot have fluids applied, and then let soak for a period of time. The simple reason is gravity. The same applies to machines like the Nitty Gritty, in that if you wish to allow a record's surface to soak, it must be done off the machine.

And, the other, is if you wish to use multiple step cleaners, and/or a rinse step, again, you have a problem due to the same features.

At least in the Loricraft-Keith Monks arrangement, one can concentrate on cleaning one side at a time, use multiple steps, and rinses no problem.

The VPI 16.5 is of course the price king option at $500. This leaves lots of money left over for a lot of other things.

Another, with better features, and build quality, would be the Clearaudio Smart Matrix. As I undestand it now, the new Smart Matrix is all aluminum exterior construction, not aluminum painted MDF. ($1000)

The Smart Matrix has reversible platter, and where many of the parts on the VPI are made of plastic-delrin, the Smart matrix uses metals.

The choice must be the end users, but with double sided cleaning machines, it would be a considerable waste of money, and could be called counter-productive then not using all it's whistles, and bells, by straying from a one step cleaner, which seems to be the intentions of how these machines are supposed to be used. Mark
Buy a manual cleaner, some good brushes and cleaning fluid(s). You'll save boatloads of money to buy vinyl.

Yes, it requires a bit of elbow grease and certainly more time but your records will be just as clean and most likely cleaner than an automatic machine.

Good luck.

Nice RCM's :-)

I am quite familiar with a quite of those RCM's, Odyssey, VPI, Hannl, Monks, Odyssey and so on...Whatever you choose and love, that's fine.But, point nozzle concentrates the vacuum and will result in a drier and more clean record. This is simple Physics. Especially when you use it quite often. The lips from the slot based Vacuum machines will stay wet and then you can forget it more or less. That is the reason, why Monks was so successful in professional areas.
An Audiophile, who uses it only a few times in a row, won't reach any limit from a machine. But the differences exist.
I have owned Clearaudio Matrix (Transparent) for 3 years before replacing it with the Double Matrix (Silent Version) a year ago. Both RCMs were bought brand new by me.

The Double Matrix cleans better and is *much* faster and *considerably* quieter than the Matrix. It is however *very demanding* of microfibre strips. I can rarely clean up to 10 LPs without replacing a couple of the 4 strips because the microfibre material gets detached from the 'glue' that binds it to the nozzle.

Thus, I have to pay a lot of money for micro-fibre strips. Furthermore I am using a mirror to check the condition of the strip on the upper nozzle every two LPs - so that I replace it at the first sign of detachment and protect the surface of the LP I clean.

Had I known the above I would have NEVER bought the Double Matrix despite its advantages.
I owned the VPI 16.5 and now own a Loricraft PRC4 Deluxe. There is no comparison. The combination of the 3 step AI solutions plus a 4th final rinse step and the point source nozzle produces extremely clean records. I hear things (details, dynamics, extension) that I previously got only by upgrading equipment. I spend 20 min. per side, but it is well worth it to me. YMMV. I dare say the improvement is similar to the one I got when I upgraded my cartridge from a nice $1500 one to my Airtight PC-1. Listening to very clean LP's has been a revelation.

I have never tried a machine from Clearaudio so can't comment on how effective it is. The shorter cleaning time sounds nice.