VPI bearing oil/grease?

I know this has been discussed and forgive me but I'm a little confused. Most of my confusion is from talking with Mike at VPI. I called VPI years ago to ask what type of lubricant to use, the answer was white lithium grease. ( no mention of any of this in the owner's manual) After my bushings were replaced a few years later with bronze, I inquired as to what oil/grease was recommended. The answer was 40W oil. After reading other posts here, I've read that Mike has recommended Mobil synthetic, I don't ever recall them recommending VPI bearing grease to me or anyone. I'd like to get a definitive answer from VPI users here. Thanks.
128x128slaw
Frogman: Yes, the heavier, thicker lube makes for a less lively, thicker, muddy, uninvolving sound that makes listening a chore.

Dover: Thanks for the Motul suggestion, I remember now, hearing guys involved in motorcyle racing mentioning this oil.
On my Final Audio ( 22kg platter/inverted bearing ) I use the 5W40 (motul)

Dover, how do use this oil on an inverted bearing? Don't most use grease?
Brf,
The Final Audio uses oil in an inverted bearing. The tolerances are very fine and the oil holds. Reseating the subplatter/platter takes about 6 hours when I change the oil. In the 25 plus years I have owned the Final it has never run dry.
Most inverted bearings run grease as you say but there are some exceptions.
Dover: I purchased a quart of Motul 300V 5w40 and installed it as I've done other oils, as stated above. (The dealer had no 5w30 and since I found that (standard 40w) had the basics, regarding sonics that I like, I went with the 5w40). I put on the Classic re-issue of Peter Gabriel "So", (my regular issue is too forward sounding and the whole sonic frequency range seems to me not integrated well) it has always been somewhat darker with a little (more pronounced bass). The overall presentation is more "quick on it's feet", bass is not dark sounding and has nice definition and solidity, some faint inner detail I've barely heard before is much more noticable now. I'll post again after more listening regarding how it's done on various records but this is my initial finding to keep the thread going.