Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Hi Halcro,

I admire this path you took, few would go this this route.

I like your selections of tonearms and look forward to future input on what headshell cart combinations you like best with the MA505.

I have a MA505 and a MA202L I would like to add to a new plinthe for my 301 in the near future.

Here is a good compilation of Micro Seiki tonearms I recently came across.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php%3Fpage%3DThread%26threadid%3D4711%26boardid%3D2&ei=SgLbTOXhNsqBhQf1lonQAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q7gEwAA&pre

Brad

Good Evening, Halcro,

Thank you *very much* for your hard, painstaking work and what appears to me to be scientific detachment in researching plinth --and nude plinth-- options.

I have an SP10 and want to get it spinning discs. On another thread I'm considering plinth options, but to do full diligence --and thanks to Raul for his encouragement-- I need to looking into a Nude configuration, too. When I settle in to listen at home, in my room, I want to know that whatever I spent, it was well considered.

1) Can you tell me how you support your Victor, perhaps with more detailed photographs?

2) Did you have to build a base of any kind for it, or does it rest on your shelf by itself? (I've looked at your photos and can't tell from their viewpoint how the table is supported) Did you have to have a tower made to support your arm? or did you make it yourself?

3) Was the tower free standing? and of what material?

4) How is the proximity of the arm tower determined and maintained in relation to the table?

5) Did you treat the underside of the Victor TT with any resonance coating or treatment? if so, what material, affixed how?

I look forward to your response, and thank you again for taking the time, not only for inquiry, but to share your results on the 'Gon.

with Best Wishes, and Happy Thanksgiving,

David Kellogg
Dear Pryso,

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear but in my Intro to this Project I provided a Link to my System Page where I stipulated that I would NOT be testing the TT-81 with a plinth. To quote.....
.Now this will NOT be a scientific test in the sense that I won’t (at this stage), be testing the TT81 in a plinth.

You see I can't grasp the purpose of a plinth in a Direct Drive Turntable?
For an Idler Wheel or Rim Drive I can see that there are gears and rods and metal moving parts to support as well as the thrust bearing for the platter and similarly with a Belt-Drive there is the support for the thrust bearing and sub-platter assembly as well as support for the motor (usually) and of course there is the mounting required for the arm-board and arm.

With a Direct-Drive where the motor is in-line and supports and turns the sub-platter directly, I see no physical necessity for a plinth other than to perhaps support an arm-board assembly?

In any case, thanks for your comments and I apologise again if i wasn't sufficiently clear in the beginning?
Dear Ecir38,
Thank you for your kind words and also the link to the info on the Micro tonearms.
I find it frustrating to find any 'history' on all these vintage arms, turntables, and cartridges as I think Google does not include many Forums in its searches and that where most of this archival information is now to be found.

I simply love the Ma-505s not only for its sound but for its looks, design ideas and superb manufacturing quality. It has all the looks and feel of a pre-war Leica camera but the ingenuity of its VTA (on-the-fly), Antiskate (on-the-fly) and unique VTF (on-the-fly because of its Dynamic weighting), makes adjusting 'by ear' the easiest I have ever found in any arm.
Halcro, no apology needed. I should have read your prior posts for more background.

I have great respect for Raul's experience in audio but he is definitely swimming against the tide regarding DD plinths. Even Technics introduced three Obsidian plinths during production of the Mk 2 and 3 tables and each one was more massive than the one before. Also, every other post I've read on DD plinths claims sonic improvements when more massive plinths replace original light-weight versions.

I'm way overdue in building a plinth for my SP-10 Mk 2 and have only listened with it mounted on a 3/4" particle board to provide a platform to mount the tonearm. I must admit that sounds very nice so perhaps 40+ pounds of plinth are not necessary after all. I was just hoping you might be doing the more direct comparison. And based on the thoroughness of your review, I'm certain it would have been helpful had you done so. ;-)