Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Is this a plinth?
PLINTH
The NVS direct drive turntable which Albert Porter and Mike Levigne have bought after ditching their SP10 Mk3s mounted in expensive plinths.
Discuss?
Halcro, I'll bite.
The answer is that YES the NVS is a ring holding the table, with that ring mounted on legs. It serves the purpose that what is commonly thought to be a 'plinth' also serves. In principal, if you think of your TT-81 and what the original Victor plinth was like, it was a rigid frame into which the motor was screwed. That plinth had legs/footers which stood on the ground. The motor hung out over the empty air - quite similar to the NVS.

I would suggest that the idea of a 'plinth' could be boiled down to whether it serves the purpose intended. As an architect, you would know the purpose of the original meaning. It should be a rigid mount for the thing above it.

The question is whether the plinth for TTs is sufficiently different in that it is at the same time a "base" (and in Japanese, the word is a Japanese version of the English word 'base', not 'plinth'), and a weight which loads the TT to absorb resonance, or to conduct it to the next level below.

In that sense, a 'plinthless TT' might mean something different for different people.
Uh-oh. Albert's got one? Is that in fact a photo of Albert's? (Looks like a 12-inch SME mounted in Panzerholz arm board, both favorites of AP, so I guess the answer is "yes".) Nuts! Now I have to ditch my SP10 Mk3.

Janis Joplin, where are you now?
(Channeling her lyric: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. My friends all got Porsches, I must make a-mends.")

Just kidding. No way I can afford an NVS. But that NVS structure qualifies as a plinth in my little turntable book.
Henry: It may not resemble a conventional plinth, but function is not necessarily restricted to specific forms.

To me it looks like the NVS structure will function as what is commonly called a "plinth", and this particular implementation possesses a substantial amount of moment-inertia so as to better resist motor ripple torque.

It appears that the designer is aware of the basic technical aspects that are desirable for such a structure.

cheers, jonathan
A 'plinth' is actualy not a name with refering function
but rather a 'concept' with as many senses as the users
of the term think of. But we can determine an more precise
meaning by our discussion. I myself however
will never acknowledge whatever number of footers as a plinth.

Regards,