Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Dear Raul,
I'm truly happy for you :^)
As you say......it's quite hard to imagine the differences until one actually hears the purity and absence of previously 'unrecognised' distortions?
It was your encouragement which first made me test a 'nude' DD turntable.
I believe that a plinth would certainly 'change' the sound.
How can that be a good thing?
As far as I can see.......any 'change' in sound from the 'nude' TT....must be an 'addition' to that sound?
Is that not a colouration/distortion?
What are you using as an armpod with these two turntables Raul?
Cheers
Henry
Dear Raul,
What mat? What tonearm? How was the tonearm mounted? What cartridge? What music?
Let's see: you pulled two turntables out of storage, set them up without a plinth and they sound "great". (I'll take your word for that.) And this proves something about whether or not a plinth can be used to good advantage with a direct-drive turntable? You are too smart to believe that this is good science.
Anyway, very glad to hear from you. As you know, I am very fond of my DP80, as well. On its excellence, we can agree.
Apologies to Raul, I think I am guilty of asking Raul to prove a negative, which cannot be done. Anyway, more data would be nice. Particularly I would like to know what mat was in use on each turntable (75 vs 80).

So far as I know there is very little if any difference between the DP80 and DP75; I think the DP75 was essentially a DP80 motor supplied with a plinth and tonearm, usually the Denon DA307. T_bone would be the authority on this. If you hear a difference between the two tables, I would first suspect that the inferior sounding one might have a problem. Carry on, Raul.
Dear Halcro: Agree with you and IMHO the naked fashion in many ways has lower distortions. The footers here play an important role and the AT pneumatic ones works splendid. No, I'm not saying that's a must to have, I understand there are other alternatives and like almost all things in audio we have to test and compare.
I never tryed with tip toes like footers like you, maybe in the future.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R
Dear Lewm: First I don't took the TT and decided to go naked as first option. I check both with three different plints before naked: my custom made and beautiful 40kg green marble one alond the 40kg beige onyx one and the own Denon hard wood.

Both custom made plynts were over four of my AT pneumatic footers and both " sounds " the same and outperform the Denon one.
After that I tested in naked fashion and decided that nake/nude is the way to go, differences are important it were not tiny ones.

In all cases I use it my LOMC reference cartridge and ADC Astrion, Sonus Dimension 5 and AT ML180 OCC.
I used two identical tonearms ( our prototype design. ) and two identical arm pods ( more on this latter. ) and same cartridge to phono stage wiring. I tested too with my AT 1503-3.

Obviously that I tested through my own test procedure ( that continue the same with the same recording tracks. ) as always.

No, both TT Denons are in perfect condition and as similar as they are are not the same. The measure rumble figure in the DP-75 was measured by a friend that own a DP-75 and he found out was/is: -88db at the same standards that Denon took it. Even on brochure the DP-75 has better specs than the DP-80. Other difference is that the DP-80 has higher motor's torque that means in some ways higher energy to dissipate or latent.

I use our self TT mat design that I'm using for last 2-3 years and that through my experiences with other mats is unbeatable.

Arm pod: I'm still using an Acoustic Signature one. If you take a look to my virtual system you will see where the tonearms are " seated ", well I took the whole AS arm board that is screwed at the TT plinth at the bottom. Well this was to compare against the AS ones and with the stone's plinths the tonearm were surface mount ( mine not the AT. ).

As you can see I took things seriously about or: could you think for a moment that I come here to make such statement with out real facts and real foundation?, a mistake from your part if thinked that way.

You can take a look to the MM thread and you will find that in the last times there are almost no posts from me. I took almost three weeks only in this comparison.

Maybe in the nears future I will make a better arm pods but right now is fine with me and I have no time to change.

Yes, both Denons are great and IMHO better than the SP-10s, at least in my system.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.