Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Alright I got it Great writing!! I myself have all-ways thought if it was good/great 30 years ago its good/great today!!

some people just think because its 2013 and its a new design/turntable that it automatically = better

I love it...

Lawrence
Fidelity Forward
I have said this before but will say it again. Thank u Henry for the inspiration behind your thread. Raul did mention Nude TT - in a couple of threads – but we never did see a picture of his setup. I learned more about resonances and vibrations during this project than I would have, I feel in any other way. So if anyone is a little bit curious, adventurous and have a vintage DD – go for it.

My SPMKII project has been through many versions. It is still not encased in a wrap around plinth, but it is now bolted to rigidly to the base (plinth) below it with the solid SS legs. The armpod I feel due to the 19 lbs involved provides a solid enough footing. Still, since the tonearm is unlikely to change, my next version will probably have the SS legs shortened, so that the armpod can be bolted directly to the base (plinth) as well. Similar in a way to the Verdier.
Thanks Lawrence,
I appreciate your feedback.
I certainly agree with you....especially in the case of analogue.......that the great turntables, tonearms and cartridges of the Golden Age of Vinyl (60s, 70s and 80s)....more than hold their own against the 'cost-no-object' modern versions.
Imagine what might have been had R&D funds not dried up after the introduction of the CD?

Re-reading what I wrote 2 years ago....I think an addendum is in order:-
I upgraded the TT-81 to the TT-101 which was an audible improvement IMHO.
I also purchased the Sutherland Timeline and by using the Victor TT-101 as a 'Benchmark'........I managed, by trialling different platter mats and different motor arrangements on the Raven AC.....to maximise the speed accuracy and neutrality of this belt-drive turntable so that it really is difficult for me to reliably 'pick' which deck I am listening to?
This resulted in the removal of one of the three motors on the AC-3.....and the removal of any platter mat at all. The vinyl record is placed directly on the copper platter top-plate with a heavy brass record weight on top.

The ability to directly compare two turntables and multiple tonearms is invaluable to improving the performance of one's system IMHO.

Regards
Henry
Hi Chris,
As always....I appreciate your response.
I'm happy indeed if I helped in some small way for you to enjoy your wonderful system even more?

I think your 19 lb arm-pod is both heavy and stable enough?
What most people will surprised to learn is that the deflection (and movement) of the cantilevered outboard arm-boards of the big Micro turntables and the Raven AC.....is a magnitude greater than any differential movement in a reasonably thick common shelf on which a separate deck and arm-pods may be mounted.
This can easily be demonstrated mathematically via structural analysis.
Seeing that many audiophiles staunchly advocate the superiority of the big Micros over many SOTA new decks........I don't believe your concerns about a 'floating' armpod are warranted? :-)

Regards
Henry
I don't believe your concerns about a 'floating' armpod are warranted?

Hi Henry – I have had this armpod for quite a while now. I am not concerned about floating. It hasn’t moved. This has to do with resonance and vibrations. I will change their patterns if I change to a rigid directly coupled armpod. I want to hear this change.

My SP10MKII is my PET project. Its role in my setup is all about learning from it. This cannot stop. Its the perfect candidate with the motor, bearing, spindle, platter so close to one another to learn more about resonances.

My DD setup is very flexible by design, so I can experiment with little effort really. I have a spare set of SS legs from version 3 with the points – the machinist will cut these and put threads in for me. The armpod has three threads for spiking or bolting. The bolts would come through the base (plinth) up into the armpod. No big deal. I want to see if I hear any differences. If I don’t like it, the armpod can be converted to free standing anytime – its reversible. No Risk , Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.

Fwiw - I have probably hit the limits with the SP10MKII and that is ok too. To me like I say in “Goldilocks and the three turntables “ on my system page. The SP10MKII sounds like it is just trying too hard to be accurate. I think it needs a little LESS CORRECTION if possible, and still be able to maintain STABILITY to make it better. Its a balance. Right now the correction piece is the Alpha. So if I have hit the limits with it. I am ok with that. Maybe one day I will pull off the cover underneath and have a look to see what can be done to better isolate what is in there. For what the setup cost $1500 - not including tonearm. I don’t think it can be beat in that price range. What does $1500 buy you today.

BTW – I recommend still that you isolate your victor and the armpods on a separate shelf. There will be a definite audible change. Easy enough to experiment with a piece of material and three or four footers.

Seeing that many audiophiles staunchly advocate the superiority of the big Micros over many SOTA new decks

Henry - Not familiar with the Micros - but I can tell you my Verdier raised the bar high – really high. Every day it amazes me more and more because I learn how to set it up better. I think this design has been around for a while too?

Cheers