Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Is no one interested in the magnetic fields concentrated at the normal arc of the cartridge? It would be helpful and interesting if someone with a smartphone would install the Tesla app and repeat my experiment.

Is this a problem? Does it effect all DD turntables?

I have ordered mu-metal sheets to try and redirect the magnetism away from this area. More on that in a week or so.

Gary
according to this, it is a problem, Aigenga. I believe Lewm investigated these issues with his Kenwood.

Sorry I don't have a smart phone but next time friends come over I'll have them do it.

The symptoms of rfi and emi contamination that site articulates are certainly troubling. I don't detect them in my set up, but I suppose along each of the dimensions things could be better--so who knows. As I noted above, I stuck some pieces of TI Shield underneath my subplatter right above the motor cover. Perhaps that is doing me some good? And if I used a heavy platter mat I would use the shield directly beneath it--but the boston audio mat 2 wasn't heavy enough to flatten the piece I cut. I think the mu metal is thinner.
What does the app actually detect, EMI or "magnetic fields"? Those are two different phenomena. I would expect it detects EMI. I don't think this is endemic to every single DD turntable ever made; I would expect it is something to think about on a case by case basis with any particular DD. However, as Banquo mentioned, the L07D cognoscenti recommend implementing a shield between its motor and the platter. It seems to me that Kenwood already did that: the platter "mat" is actually a 5-lb piece of quarter-inch-thick stainless steel, which while not being a perfectly efficient shield, does act as a shield. Nevertheless, I did buy a piece of TI Shield from M Percy. I cut it in the shape of an LP and tucked it in under the stainless steel platter mat, so it does not show. I then was able to imagine that it made an improvement; I don't trust such uncontrolled observations when made by the guy who did the work and spent the money (me), but there you have it. One could do the same or similar for the TT101 or any other DD. A copper platter mat would do some good as an alternative. The SP10 Mk3 has a massive piece of bronze or brass in its surface, which probably affords some shielding. Unfortunately, last time I looked on M Percy's website, there is a notation to the effect that TI Shield is No Longer Available. I don't know whether that means it is out of production or only no longer sold by Percy. He does also sell ERS cloth, which could be made to do the job.

Note that any shield must be grounded to be fully effective. I am assuming that, since the TI Shield on my L07D is fully in contact with both the base platter and the SS mat, and since they are in continuity with the bearing, my shield is grounded. (TI Shield has layers of copper on both sides; it is quite conductive. Be careful.)
The app measures micro tesla or mili gauss - both seem to be measures of magnetic fields. If I said that I know much more than that I would be lying.

I don't yet know if I will cover the motor area - leaving ventilation space or make the mu metal sheets part of my mat, one way or the other.

Gary
Dover,
Thanks for the info. I tried Googling but there is sparse detail available.
That Final motor looks serious........