A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
No matter how you set it up, it will be of great interest to me to learn what you think of the SP10, in light of the pantheon of great turntables you have at your disposal.
Mass loading is very good – at least that is what my ears are telling me.

Version one aluminum armpod was only a few lbs lighter than the brass - but the weight was dispersed over a longer armboard. The increased force provided by the brass is a positive thing that can be heard. I am not going to provide a lovely description like Dgob provided us with. Let’s just say last weekend I found myself reaching for more lps – some I had not heard in a while – if this is not positive behavior for this hobby I don’t know what is.

Recommendations.

How high is your platter? The higher the platter the more material you will be able to use to get more weight (either a bigger diameter or higher armpod). I have the AT 616’s adjusted now to their highest point – and my tonearm is adjusted to its lowest point. Any higher and it will not work in my setup. I came close and actually had fears when I brought the brass home that I had miscalculated. After analyzing - I breathed a sigh of relief - thank u Bruce Thigpen for all the adjustments u put on that ET arm :)

Symposium Jrs.

With that a source came through and I now have symposium jrs. on their way to me. I understand that they are 1 ½ inches high so my current armpod will not be able to be used for this experiment - as stated my tonearm is set at its lowest adjustment. If anyone can suggest a way of doing this without propping another layer under the sp10 let me know.

So I will get another armpod made a lower one for this - probably about 3 inches high and maybe try it out on my 12" pivot arm as well. I had plans for another armpod anyways

Cheers Chris
Hey Chris,
You can always elevate your turntable by putting some big tall feet under it, to enable you to use a more massive pod. How about that Vyger turntable? The pod would be 4 feet high or so, judging from photos. In brass, that would be significant mass, I'd say.

You made me think of this, because I have just recently elevated my Lenco in its slate plinth, not so I could use a massive arm pod but in order to accommodate some "feet" that I made out of cans of Mandarin Orange slices in water, sitting on tiptoes. In my rationale, the closed system of Orange slices floating in water helps to dissipate energy (by sloshing of the water damped by orange slices) going from the floor up into the shelf and hence into the slate. For $6 plus the tiptoes, which I had on hand already, it "works a treat", as the Brits like to say, and if you don't like it you can eat the Mandarin Orange slices, for another kind of treat.
Lewn - I disagree - I think that cantaloupe slices would work better than the orange as they are not as acidic, they are in season right now, and studies have shown when talking to workers from their place of origin that they resonate the least : >)

I am having a hoot with this and looking forward to making another arm pod for my other pivot arm and also testing out the jrs on alternate equipment first.