A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Dear Raul,
if you are thinking the SME 30/2 is a top performer I am wondering why you are not going for it. Maybe we see the table in your system soon?

It is not about me. You need to become happy with this table. If you are as many others are this is fine. I respect and understand your benchmark position on TTs now better.

I usually try not repeating myself - especially on listening assessments.

best @ fun only
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the link.
Whilst it looks quite simple........it requires some quite refined DIY skills for the home handyman?
The many connections of metal to wood provide severe hinderances to rigidity however.
Solidity, mass and rigidity are the three requirements 'sine qua non' for a remote armpod IMHO.
Cheers
Thuchan,

Like Raul, I, too, am interested in reading why you don't think the SME 30/2 is a good turntable. Could you please explain what aspects of its performance you don't like and why?

Have you heard the SME 30/12 also?
Halcro, I was looking at this easy idea for those to try a remote armpod out which has been promoted here as opposed to your concrete idea. I can see having more sucess with this than the concrete.

Beyond Chris and Corby I don't think there has been any other DIY approaches so far.

Maybe you don't see it but I don't think that Gent would have mounted the tonearm if it wasn't solid or rigid and he solved the mass problem with the addition of lead. It's not the perfect armpod but it did allow him to try his additional tonearm with only a couple hours of work probably with basic hand tools. If a router is in your toolbox the job would be easier and could be implemeted a little better.

Brad
Brad,
It is almost impossible to achieve a 'moment' connection between wood and metal (especially the way shown in that armpod).
Without this 'moment' connection.....movement between the wood and metal is a given....ergo....no rigidity here.
If one were to grab the top of this pod with one hand and the bottom with the other and twist back and forwards.......you would appreciate the movement induced.