A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Dear Dgob: Yes that makes a rewarded difference. The TTs and the motor are atop those pneumatic footers.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear Thuchan: This is what we appreciate you answer because you are making serious statement against the SME 30/2 and it obvious for us that that statement coming from you must have strong and specific reasons on its quality performance level against other like the ones you own:

++++ " Please let us know why it is not, if you are complaining about then you have specific reasons to did that. Thank's in advance for your answer. " +++++

as you can read I'm not the only person that are waiting for your answer, Peterayer and certainly other SME owners are waiting for.

Again, thank you in advance.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Halcro, your a tough cookie when an idea is presented that is not yours.

That idea wouldn't pass that test for sure but I was looking at a temp approach for others to test your nude project. I'll let them be the judge if it would be rigid enough to mount a tonearm.

"I have found that a tin of asparagus can form the ideal height for the temporary mounting of an arm :^)"

After seeing that I don't understand why you would feel the need to debunk the idea.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1294870073&openfrom&442&4#442

http://picasaweb.google.com/hfeiner/NUDETURNTABLEPROJECT?authkey=Gv1sRgCLeeoJToqbeJOg&pli=1#slideshow/5511069514869967442

Brad
Brad and Henry, I have found that small size cans of mandarin orange slices in water make excellent footers for my Lenco in slate plinth. I use 3 cans, tiptoes on the bottom of each can and a spacer on the top of each can so that the turntable makes contact through the top of the can rather than its rigid elevated lip. In theory, the assymetric distribution of the orange slices in the water help the absorption of energy entering the can from below due to floor-borne vibrations and the dissipation of any tiny amount of energy that might enter via the tt motor, altho the slate takes care of most of that, IMO. Cost = $2 per can or less plus some tiptoes that were lying around.

Henry, "Rigidity" a part of your holy trinity of armpod design, is good but not an unalloyed virtue since rigidity assures transmission of vibrations up from the shelf into the tonearm.
Some time ago I did also listen to SME 20 with Graham Phantom Arm and my Takeda Miyabi Cartridge.
I am also interested in some sentences why this turntable is good or not ... :-)
We all know, Turntable matters. But this "matter" has a lot of views, most rate something, because they like it or not, or the table does "something" or not, listeners who insist on a feet whipping presentation loaded with PRaT have normally a different view to such items than those who are mad about neutral reproduction. We all know, each his own.
Most turntables produce sonic masking and different equalizing colorations. This is based from construction. The better ones do not highlight some frequency areas and change the kind of performance based on that. Based on that (brain, which is rare) most are confused when they hear a Turntable which does nothing, only spinning the record with the right speed and adds nothing into the reproduction process. A good Turntable has no sound. When a Turntable "sounds", then this is based on mediocre knowledge about what-is responsible-for-what.. Sounding is for example, when a turntable accelerates everything, even Schubert Chamber Orchestra will have some "drive", no matter what you do, the sonic fingerprint is always present, no matter what kind of music you listen to. Those who gave up, prefer after a while only one kind of music ('...my System runs best with Blues, Jazz is horrible..')..
So, the question:
How much better should a turntable "sound" when it delivers a perfect 'normal', right performance?
And, why it is this the way it is? And is the sound also good, when the table itself is not in the 30k+ area?
Or, when it has no 3-4 motors ... we should ask Turntable manufacturers why they did this or that...
*Ahem*. Or no. Better not.. :-)