A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Dear Dgob, sorry, but IMHPOV (" in my honest point of view" ...) the chain of links between tonearm, headshell and cartridge can't be found be "try-and-see-approach".
At least not, if you out for anything of absolute (not quantified nor qualified view here) - i.e. : for a result that can stand for it's own.
As the rest of the chain is needed (amps, cables, speakers et al) to evaluate the quality, you have two options:
a) you assume that the rest of the chain is perfect in an absolute sense (unlikely..) or
b) you say to yourself: "this is only now for this given set-up including all components AND my personal taste of sound in this given room".

Trying to design components of best possible quality (sound-wise) means making them as neutral and as strict as possible in following the physical parameters given in their purpose.
Then a given component won't please all nor in all set-ups.
But then a Porsche GT3 ( just random choice her ...;-) ...) isn't that great a car during down-town rush hour either.

By sticking to the mere physical requests and issues of a given link in the chain ( and believe me - it is just as big an issue to recognize and address ALL these requests and issues .. ) you are on the only path which "may" eventually lead to the best possible.
All others are leading into the woods.
You may by dump luck or happy coincidence find a "good" or "happy" temporarily solution along the way.
But it will be only temporarily, as it will be rather a lucky fit within a given matrix of the moment.

I won't go into theoretical length here.
I will rather do what I have done with the UNI-Protractor - I will give my words solid foundation by act.
Within this winter I will introduce a pivot tonearm and a turntable here on Audiogon.
Both components will show what I mean by consequently addressing physical issues.
Cheers,
D.
Here is a review with some interesting explanations. Probably it can answer some questions. A few years ago Basis had more technical papers about his thinking at his site, but this here is helpful, too.

click me

... one of the better product placements
Syntax A.J. Conti's technical papers on his over all design are very forward thinking.
However what stopped me from pursuing his Signature model a few years ago was the acyclic material he used in its construction, a material which is relatively inexpensive and easy as pie to mill.
Sure there are differant types of acrylic material but it turn me off anyway for the price of this table and my thoughts were is it a material choice just to keep cost's down?

Conti's innovative designs through out the 2800 could be entirely focused on the neutral side of things and perhaps were not effected so much by his choice of using acrylics, but i'm only guessing.

Reading Conti's papers and the reviews his tables should be crowned as a benchmark for most other tables out there including frequent mention everywhere of A.J.Conti's innovative thinking behind his designs, however this is not the case.

Dertonarm with his up and coming arm and table may find himself in the same boat with his own innovative thinking behind his products, appreciated by a few and misunderstood by many.

Dear In_shore, I never thought about acrylic but am not sure about the other way round. Yes I know that we are talking about inanimate matter. But I first got Lurnes
Audiomeca J1 which was all of acrylic. Then the ASR Emitter II and Basis Exclusive which are 6 boxes all of acrylic and when I changed Audiomeca for the Kuzma Stabi Reference I again got a huge amount of acrylic. However I
was never interested in acrylic. So 'obviously' acrylic must be somehow interested in me?

Regards,
Dear Dgob: There is no doubt that exist a scientific ( physic/mathematic and the like. ) answer for many audio phenomenons but the issue is that till today does not exist and no one already attempt to " build " an audio model that not only has all the audio factors/parameters involved when we are talking to predict for sure audio system or audio item quality performance level but that has all the interactions/relationship between those factors/parameters that have influence in that " live " performance. DT " won't go on theoretical here " because IMHO he has nothing on hand that could give you a prediction about performance sound between cartridge/headshell/tonearm and its several alternatives on weight, compliance, stylus shape, cantilever material, headshell build material, tonearm whole design, internal cable, cartridge pin connectors, cable, phono stage and the like.

The best IMHO that we can do is try different alternatives and over hundred maybe thousands of " observation " method achieve some partial conclusions.

Yes, I agree with you: that scientific " stage " almost always arrive late to the audio party, especially when we are talking of quality performance level on analog because when we are talking of electronic designs the scientific " stage/path " is the first guest to arrive. So depend of waht we are talking about and what we want to know and with what level of consistence and accuracy. I'm with the scientific " road " always that can be use it and always when is " practical/workable ".

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.