Removable headshells 101

Due to the influence of Raul's thread on MM cartridges, I believe that some of us (perhaps for the first time), have acquired a tonearm/s with a removable headshell?
In my case, there was a vacuum of knowledge or information about what makes a good headshell and for the last 6 months a great deal of my time and effort has been expended in acquiring personal hands-on experience.
Perhaps a Forum to share experiences will help new adherents to this once denigrated (by the High End) segment of tonearm design?
128x128halcro
Interesting discussion. One thing for sure, do anything in an audio system and it will sound different - headshells are just another variable.

I have 3 types of Ortofon from their mid range, top of the range and wooden one as well as two cheap headshells from Belldream and Sumiko.

You put all 5 headshells onto one cartridge and the sound is different on every one. You can identify the ranking, however when you change cartridges the ranking may be completely different - why? the musical word is synergy.

I do listen to folks opinions here to see what their views are on combinations as we cannot listen to everything. If I have the same combo, it is always interesting to see if you hear the same things as they do.

An interesting comparison is between fixed and removable headshell tonearm with the same cartridge.

I own the Exclusive P3. This table comes with a straight arm wand with fixed headshell and a S arm wand with removable headshell. Without any doubt my Ortofon A90 sounds best with the straight arm,fixed headshell. Read into that as you like.

I am sure that folks ranking of cartridges and overall MM or MC preference may change if they changed amplification components in their system from SS to tubes or visa versa.

Anyway, sounds like I may need to look at an Orsonic hgeadshell again. Question - it looks as thou the only wiggle rooim on these headshells is at the front of the cartridge - Is their adjustability limited?
Dear Henry,
sure - the fixed mounting holes of the AT-LH18 aren't the smartest of ideas.
The firm circular grip of the actual headshell around the throat tube is however very good and extremely solid. And gives extremely versatile adaption to overhang.
Same solution I. Ikeda uses for his headshell and same I would use if I would fancy about designing a headshell.
It may not please you, but it does please the engineer even better than the solutions favored by Orsonic or Clearaudio - i.e. one screw tip.
So the only real drawback here is the fixed mounting hole indeed.
But the AT-LH18 is relatively inexpensive (around $55,-), comes with very good wires and tag clips and - dare I !! - one can widen the mounting holes of the cartridges body to adjust offset a bit.... ;-) .... just kidding ...
No - in fact, take the headshell - go to the next fine tooling workshop and have the fixed holes drilled open and modified to long slots - é voila !
The serious audiophile finds space for modifications in every component....;-) ....
Cheers,
D.
Dear Halcro: +++++ " The fact that we don't have the knowledge or patience to discover these is simply an admission of the depth of our lack of knowledge when it comes to audio. " +++++

yes we are ignorant ( at least I'm. ) on many audio subjects see it from the " scientific " point of view, fortunately my/our years of audio experiences help us some way or the other.
What in some audio subjects I/we don't have is for example ( Downunder's one. ): why the same cartridge in the same tonearm but with different headshells souns different. We can speculate about but I don't have a precise/real an proven answers coming from a scientific process that take in count every single parameter with influence in what we heard.

Yes, maybe is time to change this. Who say " I " ?

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dear Henry, it's not just the headshells ..... the headshell wires and tag clips are - due to extreme variations in contact pressure and material - contributing or distracting a lot to/from the sonic performance.
Here the signal is the most tiny one - unamplified and unequalized yet. Contact pressure and contact material is paramount.
So - we aren't just comparing headshells - we are comparing different headshells and in most if not all cases different tag clips and different headshell wires....
Cheers,
D.
Dear Halcro: +++++ " If one is interested in accuracy and rigidity, I find the AT headshells ones to be avoided " +++++

maybe no other headshell manufacturer as Audio technica has so many different models: different in weight, different in headshell build materials ( magnesium, aluminum and blended. ), different on headshell shape and different on headshell damping, I own around 9-10 AT models.

Accuracy?, till today in no one of the AT headshells I have any single trouble about accuracy, I always achieve the cartridge desired set up.

Even when I have to change the offset angle you always has a small margin about and if the needs in OA is wider then you always can mount the cartridge with non-paralled headshell holes.
IMHO I can't see how any AT headshell could be not accurate.

Rigidty?, well on some of the AT headshells the manufacturer choosed to give the customer two great options: overhang adjustement ( through different holes and with a " fine tunning " overhang through that screw you hate. ) and Azymuth one ( remember here that several tonearms has not the Azymuth changes option. ). There are many people that today " die " for these options that they don't have it in their cartridge/tonearm set ups.

Are there trade-offs?, could be but those headshells were not designed thinking only on Halcro.

In the other side AT have some headshells with out those options that you reject, one of them is the MG10 or the one I'm using with my ADC 25 that comes with slots to hold the cartridge.

Are there better headshells?, certainly are but I don't recommend avoid the AT before test it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.