Removable headshells 101

Due to the influence of Raul's thread on MM cartridges, I believe that some of us (perhaps for the first time), have acquired a tonearm/s with a removable headshell?
In my case, there was a vacuum of knowledge or information about what makes a good headshell and for the last 6 months a great deal of my time and effort has been expended in acquiring personal hands-on experience.
Perhaps a Forum to share experiences will help new adherents to this once denigrated (by the High End) segment of tonearm design?
128x128halcro
Dear Halcro: +++++ " If one is interested in accuracy and rigidity, I find the AT headshells ones to be avoided " +++++

maybe no other headshell manufacturer as Audio technica has so many different models: different in weight, different in headshell build materials ( magnesium, aluminum and blended. ), different on headshell shape and different on headshell damping, I own around 9-10 AT models.

Accuracy?, till today in no one of the AT headshells I have any single trouble about accuracy, I always achieve the cartridge desired set up.

Even when I have to change the offset angle you always has a small margin about and if the needs in OA is wider then you always can mount the cartridge with non-paralled headshell holes.
IMHO I can't see how any AT headshell could be not accurate.

Rigidty?, well on some of the AT headshells the manufacturer choosed to give the customer two great options: overhang adjustement ( through different holes and with a " fine tunning " overhang through that screw you hate. ) and Azymuth one ( remember here that several tonearms has not the Azymuth changes option. ). There are many people that today " die " for these options that they don't have it in their cartridge/tonearm set ups.

Are there trade-offs?, could be but those headshells were not designed thinking only on Halcro.

In the other side AT have some headshells with out those options that you reject, one of them is the MG10 or the one I'm using with my ADC 25 that comes with slots to hold the cartridge.

Are there better headshells?, certainly are but I don't recommend avoid the AT before test it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dear friends: If you want to change your headshell lead wires these IMHO are very good options:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT6101-AT-6101-4-Piece-Lead-Set-Wires-/140509509888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b704f900#ht_500wt_922

these ones are the AT top of the line and are the ones that comes with the AT Technihard latest headshell design. I own and works really fine.

http://www.2juki.com/index.php?categoryid=2&p164_item=16&p164_action=item

these made by VdH with silver wire are highly recommend.

http://www.2juki.com/index.php?categoryid=2&p164_item=25&p164_action=item

http://www.2juki.com/index.php?categoryid=2&p164_item=59&p164_action=item

both Ikeda very good wires.

Which one is better?, well a hard call but I stay with the silver made ones.

Btw, both sellers are trusty.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Which one is better?, hard call but I stay with the silver made ones.
Threads like this cause my pocketbook to drain itself of currency. Bought new headshell leads and an Orsonic Av-11b headshell. Thought I might as well now before this thread causes the other unintended consequence (compare MM/MI thread): the skyrocketing of headshell prices. Where can I find an AT-LH18 for $55?

Q: I just bought an Azden ym p50vl (sic!--see above); any thoughts on good headshell match? Or does matching require knowing the tonearm as well?

Halcro (or anyone): what headshell are you using with your signet 'freaks'? I'm using mine (tk 5ea with at 155lc stylus) with an AT ms-11 headshell. I've not been entirely happy with the sound; maybe it's the headshell?

What about for the empire 4000 D/iii (which I also just bought; sic!)? I'm really not happy with the sound I'm getting from that cart--I got a NOS stylus, so maybe it's breaking in.
Dear Raul, regarding headshell wires and clips: every once in a while we are in complete agreement ...;-) .....
Nice.
Cheers,
D.
By adding up variables one get the natural effect of the
'chosen one'. The MM thread is actualy reduced to 4 persons
because the rest needs to get a degree in electronics to be
able to participate. Some added education in administration is also needed to keep 145 AT, 160 Technics and other kinds of carts secluded. I want mention the styli. Buying MM carts in order to be able to write about them is a very strange hobby. May I ask the questinon if and when those guys are listening to the music? I have the impression that thy only have the time to listing to the test records of wich they need at least 4 examples in order to prevent overheating of the LP. What for heaven's
sake is the sence of testing two carts a day? What possible sence is in owing 100 different carts? This whole fuss has nothing to do with music but with some egos who want to be 'super egos'. Adding an separate thread about the headshells speaks for it self. The other is actualy dead. Is this what some other nations refer to as the degeneration of the Western society?
Regards,