Removable headshells 101

Due to the influence of Raul's thread on MM cartridges, I believe that some of us (perhaps for the first time), have acquired a tonearm/s with a removable headshell?
In my case, there was a vacuum of knowledge or information about what makes a good headshell and for the last 6 months a great deal of my time and effort has been expended in acquiring personal hands-on experience.
Perhaps a Forum to share experiences will help new adherents to this once denigrated (by the High End) segment of tonearm design?
128x128halcro
Dear Banquo363: The best connection for the Azden is " direct connection FASHION ", that's direct to the cartridge pin connectors. For you can do this you have to take off/out the adaptor pin connectors and find headshell leads connectors that could fit those cartridge pin connectors that are so thin.

Anyway, you are in the " road " again.

Regrads and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I don't know how I missed this thread!....

Perhaps the fact that I was not (yet) focused on the headshell side of things.

My switch back to the Revox yesterday highlighted a resonance at 300Hz that I had assumed (wrongly) was a property of the test tracks....

I have a suspicion that the 300Hz resonance (bell curve centered around 250 to 300Hz extending roughly 1 octave each way to around 150Hz and 600Hz - center/peak and width varies a little with cartridge/headshell) is caused by the movement between arm/headshell.

Has anyone done any analysis/work on this?

The Revox 1 piece arm fitted with a p-mount adapter, shows the same effect but with around half the amplitude (1db as opposed to 2db on the JVC S-Arm).

Do any specific headshells reduce/control this better than others?

What about the two pin headshells? (one above, one below - like the Orsonic AV-1)

I also have a couple of AT headshells for which I need those very short screws.... anyone out there have some ideas as to where one might find some?

Although I have a wide variety of headshells now - primarily focused on lightweight models, as most of my cartridges are high compliance - I have normally chosen a headshell for a cartridge based on rigidity and mass considerations - without experimenting with differing headshells. It appears I may need to take my experimentation down the headshell path as well.

Bye for now

David
Hi David,
I would hesitate before jumping in on an Orsonic headshell.
Sure.....they look sexy but on complex demanding material, it was distorting a treat.
I swear I could actually see the shell convulsing whilst it struggled against the cartridge's demands.
And that wasn't even with low-compliance cantilevers!!
If you haven't tried some of the wood headshells out there, you may be in for an experience? :^)
Cheers
Henry
Regards, Dlaloum:
Company Name: Orsonic
Company Status: Dissolved
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Incorporation Date: 17/05/1996
Dissolution Date: 01/05/2007

Nearly five years after dissolution, supplys of the AV headshells seem to be holding out well.

Halcro "suggested" the Yamamoto ebony HS to me and I've been pleased with it. The Orto. LS-8000 (Japaneese Oak) is another I've thought to have a positive influence. YMMV. Thanks, Henry.

Peace,
Greetings Professor,
Glad that you find the Yamamoto Ebony satisfactory :^)
Do you think the hard-wired headshell leads limit your performance options?
If I did not know you better......I would say that I detect a slight cynicism in your comments on Orsonic?
Surely you do not mean to imply that there may be some Chinese copies being sold ex Hong Kong :^)
Cheers
Henry