Dave Brubeck

While archiving my LP's to hardrive I re-discovered "Dave Brubeck". It was like running into a very old friend. He was on a 2 LP set titled "Dave Brubeck's All Time Greatest Hits". This was his quartet with Paul Desmond, on sax; Joe Morello, on drums; Eugene Wright, on base, and of course, Dave Brubeck on piano.

The music was as comfortable as an old pair of slippers, just right for listening and relaxing. Although "Take Five" was quite revolutionary when it came out on the LP "Time Out", it seems tame now. So many memories of beautiful days in the past flooded my memories as I listened, it was like a slide show of good times. I recall seeing Dave live at a free outdoor concert. It was at "Our Lady of The Snows Shrine", in front of the main shrine, on a golden, warm Fall afternoon. He was accompanied by the most beautiful modern dancers who did choreography to his music. That day was unforgettable.

One tip, if you plan on archiving your LP's to hardrive, make sure you have a spare belt before you start. Mine began slipping, but fortunately I had a spare.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Charles1dad,
I like Sonny Stitt and Lee Morgan very much. I have a lot of their music. And a lot of Brubeck's too. My point is this. It is one thing to say you prefer this or that pianist or group. No problem. But once you get into the realm of who is great and who is not then that's a whole other ballgame. You start to push your preferences into a larger realm. For instance, I imagine a lot of us have our favorite musicians who are not generally considered great and who may not even be that well known. But we may rank them up there with "the very best" because of our personal preferences. As you say, a lot of this is subjective. When it comes to greatness there are two facets here. One facet is those who are generally recognized as great. The other facet is those we feel are great regardless of what others recognize.
Sabai,
Your last sentence says it all.This is no different then when debating the relative greatness of boxers, baseball players or quarterbacks etc. You examine their body of work and from that point on it`s just various opinions without a concrete standard.
Orpheus10:
"Onhwy61, if you think it's jazz, then it's jazz. While the music I brought into this discussion is "definitively" jazz, recently, music from other parts of the world that incorporates our jazz, and possibly our musicians, is more interesting than the music currently originating here, according to my taste."

No, it's not. Unless you are into Relativism. If you are, then all discussion about anything is pointless. As far as world music goes, check out the liner and booklet notes on Duke Ellington's 'Far East Suite'. He described "world" music perfectly. The word he used was a certain 'sameness' to it all. I felt vindicated :). This was after his far east tour in 1963. We would call it the middle east today.
O-10
"Rok2id, a jazz collection of the artists you have, would be incomplete without Bobby Timmons. He did a lot of work with Blakey, and I'm sure you have tunes composed by him that were done by other artists."

I have his stuff that you mentioned, being played by Cannonball, Oscar Brown Jr and Art Blakey. I listen to some of his stuff today on amazon. I will have to correct this oversight. Speaking of doing other folk's stuff, do you know of anyone, who is someone, during brubeck's music??
Sabai:
"they all liked what I was doing. Charlie Mingus, Miles Davis, almost all of the guys that really had made it and were experimental people, experimenting, liked what I was doing. So what do I care if some critic doesn't like it? I'd care if Duke Ellington didn't like it."

Experimenting is great. It moves the music forward. Parker and Dizzy and others tried and created Be Bop, and when they looked around the entire genre was following them. Who followed brubeck and his experiments with time. That's the difference, between being a good player and being a Jazz Giant!