Grace F-9

Wondering how to tell if a F-9 cartridge is a high or low output cartridge? thanks
rnadell
It really does not matter. 3.5 or 5.5 mV it's more or less the same. Both are typical MM, high output cartridges. To my knowledge, Grace did never make any low output cartridges.

Excellent cartridges though. I owned a Grace level II since 20 years.
Most (but I don't think all) of the F9 cartridges used the same body (I think the F9L may have been an exception), and most were spec'd at 3.5mv. I suspect that the ad you referred to is incorrect, as original literature on the F9 series indicates 3.5mv for the F9E.

I agree with Tannat, though, that it doesn't matter. 3.5 mv vs. 5.5 mv is less than a 4db difference.

The reason I would be concerned about the specific model number within the series, though, is because that determines the stylus configuration. For example, while the F9E has an elliptical stylus, the F9P and F9D were conical(!), according to the original literature.

Regards,
-- Al
Hi Rich, The Ruby by all accounts is by far the best of the bunch, so maybe you should look for a spare stylus assembly rather than an F9E. I could be wrong.
07-06-11: Lewm
Hi Rich, The Ruby by all accounts is by far the best of the bunch, so maybe you should look for a spare stylus assembly rather than an F9E. I could be wrong.
Hi Lew,

You're right, with the slight qualification that the exact nomenclature for what you are referring to is the "F-9E Ruby."

As you realize, an F-9E can be upgraded to an F-9E Ruby via a stylus replacement. The designation for the Ruby stylus itself is RS-9E.

Best regards,
-- Al
Well thanks to all, it appears the 5.5mV f9 is only for the F9L only. It would still be nice to know if the 5.5 mV cartridge is marked differently.