DENON DL-304. Is it the bargain sound or not?

Hello to everyone!
I leave in Greece and it is the first time to write as a member of Audiogon.
First of all I would like to clarify that I am glad to join with your great company!
I like the “analog” site of music, so I have a couple of questions to do.

My current system is:Preamplifier: Onkyo P-304, Power Amplifier: Onkyo M-504, Loudspeakers: Scandyna Blueroom – Minipods, Subwoofer: Blueroom Bass Station, Turntable: Technics SL-1210 MK2, Cartridge: Denon DL-304. The problem is that the sound is very “bright” when I play music with my turntable. I mean that in many discs, the high frequencies are more aggressive than they should be.
delamostre1
Hi Fleib!!!
I think that it is the most interesting solution i "ve ever heard until today!!

Could you be more specific in order to arrange the test?
DB electronics still make their kit which containes a selection of resistors and 2 Y connectors. Good for those who don't like to solder.
Hi everyone again!
I have done just what Fleib says. I have construct 8 pairs of RCA connectors, with resistances as parallel load with Y adapters for the two channels of my preamp.
The results dissapointed me.
The most "closer" sound for my taste was with 76 Ohms & 93 Ohms plugs.
Comparing with the previous situation (directly connected to my preamp) there was a better balance in high frequencies and a litle bit more bass. The middles become worse and nothing was comparable with my other turntable combination (Lenco L-75 with Denon DL-160).
I suppose that Technics SL-1200 MK2 with Denon DL-304 combination, was not make any better results from the other turntable, on the contrary... it was MUCH worse!
So.. after my last attempt to change the sound, the conclusion is that i must change the Denon DL-304, because i don't have any possibility for better matching, with my Onkyo's P-304 preamplifier MC phono stage...
Hi Delamostrel,
I really can't account for the difference between the tables. I suspect you'll have to do some mods to get great performance from a LOMC like the 304. I used it on an Alphason 100S and a Kenwood 770d. Getting it dialed in was tricky and the loading is unusual to say the least. I think you might have to use some resistors closer to 50 ohms. Getting the tonal balance right is only part of the problem. Maybe the 1200 in its present form just isn't a good match for the 304. The posters above offered a glimpse of the improvements used on this table. If you search, you'll find a ton of info on this subject if you want to pursue it. KAB is a good place to start.

In the mean time I think you'll get better results with a medium compliance MM/MI cartridge. They are more forgiving of arm resonance and many other arm/table considerations. Often the MM phono stages are cleaner and better sounding in a preamp like your 304. I don't know this specifically about this model, but it might be much better. Having the coils move puts demands on the arm and supporting structure that a moving magnet does not. If you still have the DL-160, maybe that would work better I don't know. There are some nice sounding high output carts you could get also.

I know of someone who uses a DL-S1 on a 1200. I don't know what mods he's done to the table. Apparently he's getting great results loading at 30 ohms. I think he has a high end preamp, I'm not sure. I don't have an immediate solution for you. I hope this sheds some light.
Regards,
Thanks very much Fleib for your answers!
Today my Denon DL-304 was gone! A guy that take it, he will put it in a Pioneer PL-L1, with a hi-end preamplifier.

I agree with you that my preamp will better support the MM cartridges.
So.. wich model do you think is better for my case?
I have several cartridges in my mind such as Nagakoka MP-500, Audio-Technica AT-150 MLX, or Grado Gold.
Do you have any other syggestions to do for me? My budget is up to $600 but it would be prefered to look for lower prices.

Thanks again for your great support all of you!!!!