What is the best Reel To Reel machine ever built?

Everyone who has listened to master tapes or dubs knows about the well balanced sound they provide. But it is also important to have a fine tape recorder or playing machine to enjoy the tapes' qualities in a good system.
Maybe my question was raised once before but the relevance of the topic is now greater as the tapes are back to more and more audiophile friends, especially those who are owning excellent phono chains.

I have seen many big & professional machines being recently offered and sold on e-bay, Audiogon and other platforms and I am discussing within a small group which machine is really the "holy grail" among the R2Rs. So why not here. I am interested in findings.
thuchan
Thesoundhouse,
why is it a crazy question? If you meet someone asking where to buy the best ever built R2R machine for high quality recording & playback do you think the ones you mentioned will win the race? :-)

best & fun only
interesting question. and one i've personally been trying to answer for 4-5 years. and i don't yet have the answer.

my first deck was a 1/4" ATR-102 completely redone by Jeff Gillman of Precision Motor Works. this deck also came with a 1/2" head stack.

then i acquired a pristene condition 1/4" Studer A-820 that was redone by Fred Thal.

then i added a very clean 1/2" Studer A820.

recently i purchased an Ampex 350 in traveling cases, which is a virgin and super clean, but in need of a thourough going thru, which Dave Dintenfass will be re-doing for me.

and lastly i've acquired a very clean Nagra T which should be in my room next week.

at various times all the above machines have been characterized as the best from one perspective or another.

currently i have one set of custom output electronics, the King Cello. i've also purchased a pair of Ampex 351 Mic pre's, which i'm planning on using with a transformer for the low impedence modern heads....once Dave get's those done. i'd like to add one more set of output electronics.

i've been 'told' that the Studer A-820, A80, and Ampex ATR-102 are the very best transports in terms of tape handling and speed accuracy. heads seem to be a matter of taste; different people view those differently based on a sonic compass.

many tape decks are judged by their native output electronics; which mostly are crap, with a few exceptions. some love the tubes, others not.

which one is best? as a machine and considering build quality; there is the Studer A-820 and then there is everything else.

just one man's opinion.
Mike,
your A820 looks like it is in a very good condition. It is of course the crown of all modern Studer machines with five motors and its build quality is from another world. It is also a very rare type you have. You are very priviliged to work with such a machine. I was told the weak point may be the computerized design. new parts a not easy to get but I do think this counts for all Studers exept of the A810.
Oh yes the Nagras. What about the Sonys and MCIs?

best & fun only

Alright, MIKE!!

First, there was the tribute to vinyl...
and now...
the R2R arsenal :-)

Of course, there is Ki's pantheon to analog reel tape!

I have a Studer A-820 ;-)

Eckart -- how're you doing?
I use Sony TC 765 for all my replay....not the super machine, but very good sound and build to last.......